How do you start your songs?

Ebbownee

Be it reason, fruity loops, cubase, whatever...Do you as a producer begin with a bassline, drums perhaps, or a nice smaple and begin building from there or is it in a dream and you wake in a cold sweat? Me, I usually like to start with a rex sample since i use reason and i build from there...how about you?

Umm.. well I guess it really depends. I as the beatmaker can do whatever I want to the intro but it's my responsibility not to base the whole beat on what I did at the beginning. The intro is always subject to change, also considering the vocalist/s might have something different planned for the intro.

I have alot of different ways I'll start a track. Sometimes I'll start with drums. Sometimes I'll start with something I sampled. Sometimes I'll start with chords. Sometimes I'll play some chords, export a loop, rex it and use it like a chopped sample. Sometimes a melody. All depends on what I'm feeling. I usually sequence the chorus first and then build from that. Subtract things here, add different rhythm instrument here. It's my scatter brain process..lol

start with intro 4-8 bars then 16 bars (1st) verse chorus or hook 4-6 bars 8 depending on the song then 16 bars (2nd) verse chorus or hook again 4-6 bars 16 bars (3rd) verse then 4-8 bars the break (nowadays they dont use a break depend on the style of music) 8 bars outro.

a song consist of three section a , b and c

(a) verse sequence
(b) chorus or hook
(c) break

put it altogether and you have your structure

intro a b a b a b c outro

it really depends (or at least imo) on your music background, and what type of music you're producing... if it's hip-hop you'd generally start with a beat (provided you have all the lyrics... duh)... if you're working more with trance, the beat never really changes too much so you'd work with chords... for me, I come from a strong piano background... and I generally do trance and soundtrackish stuff, so I usually start off with a piano solo I've thought up and add on anything else before I add a beat (if there is one)...

tavis said:
start with intro 4-8 bars then 16 bars (1st) verse chorus or hook 4-6 bars 8 depending on the song then 16 bars (2nd) verse chorus or hook again 4-6 bars 16 bars (3rd) verse then 4-8 bars the break (nowadays they dont use a break depend on the style of music) 8 bars outro.

a song consist of three section a , b and c

(a) verse sequence
(b) chorus or hook
(c) break

put it altogether and you have your structure

intro a b a b a b c outro

How is this at all relevant to the question in hand?

For me i like most of my songs to start without drums and then bring the drums in with a BANG!

So this either means starting with a sample or some chords and then bringing in the drums and the bassline and any other bits and pieces i have composed.

There are of course certain circumstances though where i start the track with a big drum beat and then bring the rest in.

It all depends what type of track it is and what feel it has to it.

SP

My fault,your right i read the question wrong.For the intro i use the melody of the song and then drop the kick and snare in on the 4th or 8th bar followed by the bassline and hi hat.The purpose of the intro is used to grab the listener so be creative.This is music man theres no set rules just have structure for the artist to follow

I usually start with the snare, just keep building and building...
but when the beat is actually done, every intro depends on the beat, feeling, sounds etc....

I usually start with melody, move to bass, then add drums. I like for my drums to follow the bassline.

to me this iz the basic structure of a song ---

1. intro
2.hook(sometimez)
3.verse 1
4.hook
5.verse 2
6.hook
7.verse 3 and (bridge maybe)
8.hook
9.outro

and I like to start with drumz

tavis said:
My fault,your right i read the question wrong.For the intro i use the melody of the song and then drop the kick and snare in on the 4th or 8th bar followed by the bassline and hi hat.The purpose of the intro is used to grab the listener so be creative.This is music man theres no set rules just have structure for the artist to follow

Amen...
Then there's always the classic noise/ambience junk... then start into the song... IT'S JUST... MUSIC PEOPLE!!!

For me it depends on the type of song i'm working on. If i'm doing an R&B track i'll start with some chords or a good melody that's in my head. Then i'll build from there. If it's Hip-Hop, i'll start with a beat or a sample.

I play the piano, so I almost always start there, just working with basic ideas for a progression and melody. Then when I get some cool stuff, I'll play midi into FL6, put some samples to it, put in the drums, synths, whatever.

For me it all starts with the progression and melody. The rest builds off of it.

i always start wth drums then the main melody and then the little variations and sub melodies and then the bass

Back