How do you start composing your beats/instrumentals?

I take my time to choose my sound very carefully. I put myself in the perspective of the listener. This is the only way for me to know if something is good or not. Different sounds have different tone, so you have to take the time to select the best sound that will match the tone of the rest of the other sound. I don't mix much as I go. I only use slight equing to cut more and boost. I try to tighten up my play so everything will glue very well without the help of compression much. When all feels right then I work on the arrangement but sometimes I plan my arrangement first and I stick to it. I usually work on the drum first and loop it, then come up with melody lines and then the bass. I change my drums a lot because like I've said, 1 sound, can change the tone. Go with your natural instinct and you'll get better at hearing what sound good and what not.

I start with an idea for a sound, mainly a drum beat. I place said drum beat down and then I try to utilize a sample or original sound that I have in my head or if the sound comes first, I utilize that then I build the drums around it. Then I add additional instruments where necessary such as flutes, ethnic drums and shakers and percussion instruments; then when that's done I velocitize everything, compess the drums, apply a bit of punch to the Bass and apply reverb & EQ to nearly every track out there.

It's simple really.

When it comes to sampling, I always start with the sample because it is easier to cut it and shape it as I want to, in my opinion. But one of my friend's can't start to cut the sample without having a basic drum pattern :)

I tend to do both based on my mood when I sit down to make a beat. When I start off with the drums it's normally a more upbeat track. The tracks where I start with a keyboard are more down/mid tempo beats. Which is one I start with generally sets the mood for the rest of the song.

Back