How do you make your own sounds?

F

Fonzy88

How do you guys make your owns sounds/samples? What programs? What is the process? Do you eq? Do you compress? Take me through your sound design process step by step. Please do not tell me there is another thread just like this one. I don't give a hoot.

If its your own sounds why ask others how to do it? Think about that. If I told you how I made my own sounds and you copyied them whos sounds would you be using?

The Beat Pharmacy said:
If its your own sounds why ask others how to do it? Think about that. If I told you how I made my own sounds and you copyied them whos sounds would you be using?

i'm speaking of the process. not your actual sounds. (i.e. do you use ACID to layer and EQ, FL to arrange, and PT to mix. COMPREHEND THE QUESTION BEFORE YOU RESPOND.

i saw mysto & pizzi get 7-11 sugar packets and record the sound through a mic to make shakers lol just get a good quality recorder and you couldnt probably make some good ones with your hand pounding on a desk idk it gets a pretty good kick if you ask me just be creative then throw it into ur DAW or w.e.

Last edited:
T. Fox Productions said:
i saw mysto & pizzi get 7-11 sugar packets and record the sound through a mic to make shakers lol just get a good quality recorder and you couldnt probably make some good ones with your hand pounding on a desk idk it gets a pretty good kick if you ask me just be creative then throw it into ur DAW or w.e.

Yeah I've heard Tim does similar stuff. I don't know if i'm that creative to think of something like that. I'm sure you would have to have a primo mic and amplifier. Good response.

Actually, EQ and compression is about the last thing I mess with when designing one of my sounds. That's just the final process when you already achieved the sound you're looking for and you just want to sharpen it up and mix it into the rest of your production.

I don't know what equipment you have, but if all you have is just a mic and a DAW with only a couple plugins, you can only do so much.

I recorded a shoe last month and turned it into a pizicatto string synth. But that was with the help of my Fantom.

If you have the right tools, you need to learn about filters, cutoffs, resolution, attacks and release, portamento, tuning, velocity, LFO's, wave forms (Triangle, Sine, and Saw), your basic fx like chorus, reverb, delay, and panning.

If you're lucky, you have some equipment that can do all of that in layers. If you have 2 sound layers that's cool, but if you want a more developed, realistic sound, I'd reccommend 4 layers. I think the Yamaha Motif ES and XS is capable of 8 layers...I could be wrong.

But keep in mind the more layers you have on a sound, the more poly it's taking up. So instead of hitting one key on a piano, it's like hitting 4 keys at the same time if you have 4 layers. I think standard poly on a lot of hardware is 128? So if you're instrumental is full of patterns and layers, you might start hearing some sounds drop out.

The Fantom is capable of allowing its user to decide the order of importance of each sound layer so that if too many sounds are going, the least important layer drops out so it still sounds as good as possible.

You could always go with just recording a random sound in your house, but unless you learn about those things above, it's probably going to sound exactly what you recorded, or worse depending on your equipment.

The easiest way, is to find a sound you already have or a stock sound similar to what you are going for and then edit that sound to your liking. Mess around with all of the things I told you about and learn what each thing does. In a week or two, you'll be able to hear a sound and be able to know in an instant what you want to change to it. If you need some help let me know.

Fonzy88 said:
Yeah I've heard Tim does similar stuff. I don't know if i'm that creative to think of something like that. I'm sure you would have to have a primo mic and amplifier. Good response.

Every engineer, sound designer and curious audio explorer has been doing that for about the 150 years audio recording has been a possibility. It's so easy these days that it's not something to pass by even if you're mic/pre isn't all that great. Just try things out.

It really is about experimentation.

Things like recording yourself flicking a sheet of tin foil to get a snare sound. I once borrowed a potable recorder from uni and went to a scrapyard with a big spanner and then basically just recorded myself bashing stuff.

Get a mic and record yourself hitting stuff with other stuff. Then play around with defferent effects on the recordings. Pitch up or down severely, add distortion/delay/reverb, reverse the sound etc etc...the possibilities are endless.

I like running drumloops though the vocoder in reason 3. You get some mad effects and synthlines doing this.

I make my sounds in Logic. In Logic you can save channel strip settings. Which means you can choose a sound from any module you have (FM8, SampleTank, EXS24), and put mad effects on it and save it that way. It also saves the settings that you changed in the sound itself. So if you change the LFO's in the EXS24 it will save that along with any effects you put on that track. You can design alot of custom sounds that way because of all the effects you can use. I also make my own drums this way, and by stacking drums, and/or mixing them, and them bouncing them to put them back into the EXS24 to use. This way you can get some giant custom claps and kicks, and some pretty thick snares and hihats.

well lets see

i hate to tell everone this but i go outside with a tape recorder you know the big hooked on phonics one with the slide out handle and i mic a suction cup microphone to objects to get the sounds i want if i want a tom the dumpster right outside my apartment if i want a snare the belly of a fat women A (suction cup mic it around the navel)

for claps i mic it to a text book and drop it on the floor :flop:

see thats how i make my sound for all the sythy techno/grimmy/timbo sounds i go to my neighbors house and pay his grandma in cigarettes and she takes her dentures out and moans them and i go home and tweak them with heavy effects

ive actually seen timbo go into the room in a hospital and sample the heart rate monitors sound and people snoring and layer them

no lie

ok okay im full of *ish and I was bored

thanks for letting me waste your time

but hey time well wasted :-(

Back