how do YOU make your melodies?

I sit down at my midi keyboard and noodle around for a couple minutes until I have something that's harmoniously and rhythmically pleasing.

I'm using fl. First I think of some chords and then I develop a Fitting bassline and lead by ear.

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Or I develop a melody by just playin round on my midi controller.

Randomly choose a note, then put the next note down where you expect it to be, and so on, then modify when you finish to make the perfect sounding melody :)

They Way I Do It Is Just Play Around On My Keyboard Until I Hear Something I Like. Then Bam Record It In

I always play with chords first till i like the mood. Then I just experiment with the keys within the chord till I like something. Most of the time it just happens spontaneously.

honestly I just make a beat, I loop it and start experimenting with random keys, and experiment with note lengths . that's basically it . whatever sounds good I keep

Truthfully I hum a lot before I even think of playing with the keys. Once I hum something that sounds right I'll try to record it into the beat. If I'm having trouble I'll use an arpeggiator to come up with something. There's one in FL and there's one in Reason. In my opinion the one in fl is much better to use if you're stumped for an idea. I'd use that to come up with a basic melody and then edit the midi notes to my liking.

sit down with a keyboard every day and just play keys that sound good together. eventually you will know what sounds good when combined, no need to learn notes at this point.

Learn the scale of the key you're in , and then pay close attention to how each note interacts with current chord being played. Think of the notes as words, and you combine them to create sentences and eventually a story.

Like I said in the other thread, once you pick a key (based on what your goal is for the track) you can just write out your scale, write a few chord progressions based on your key, write some arpeggios... once you do that just pick out root notes and of chord progressions and the arpeggios and do a rhythm based on your drum track and the song arrangmement, you know like is it a build, or a drop, or a breakdown... let that dictate the cadence

I throw down a drum loop, and then build off of it depending on what is sounding good to me.

Back