How do you make your bass ?

That "Sick Bassline" You are referring to is most likely the result of good foundation. Strong, Tense Harmonic Progression and solid rhythm. Once these things are in place you will find it easier to achieve a Sick Bassline.
--
Lord Noir
Twitter.com/LordNoirTweets

Agreed. A bassline is never SICK alone.
The foundation is the key. Mastering afterwards.

I'm a professional bassist. That's my specialty. I create basslines for a living. How i come up with basslines is always dictated by what the song requires. The style of a song - it's idiom - tells me a lot about where to start. Just like there are different fundamental rhythms, there are fundamental "feels" or bass patterns that are intrinsic to a musical genre. Each genre has it's traditional feel. Where the bassist goes from there is what distinguishes one bassist from another. Just bumping around with the root not of the chord isn't going to get you very far. If you build your track on a sample from a 70s Disco track, that's going to dictate a certain feel. That feel would be different than if you built your track on a Latin groove. Check me out on my Fiverr gig and let's see if i can't help you out with making your tracks rock for real.

I take a single note sample bass sound, and drag it into the exs24 sampler, and then play out my bass line into the track, having played the bass line in I would then add an e.q, compression (to tighten everything up), and potentially a limiter as sub bass can be quite bad for peaking. or I find a good pre existing bass line to sample.

but similar to you I often struggle in achieving a "good" bass sound, even though I'm after something quite simple.

good luck!

I don't have time to read this whole thread so sorry if i'm repeating something...

I improved my basslines a lot when I started taking the root note out of the harmony and just used the actual bass sound for the bass notes - I hope that makes sense?

so A minor for example... the bass plays the progression using roots and 5ths: A and E but the harmony, say a rhodes chord will play A minor 9th but without the root which is actually (with a 4 note voicing) C maj 7th...

well this probably doesnt apply to you since i do dubstep...i usually layer my basses for the drop...and the sub bass is the original melody

Back