How do you make your bass ?

BeatsByD

Hey FP

I always have problem with basslines. This is not a which bass do you use or anything question, its more like how you like to do your bass in the beat.

When i finish up a beat, the only thing it needs is a basslines, and i can never make that sound good. I can make a good melody and all that but not the bass.

When i hear some other peoples beat i usually always think "damn thats a sick bassline" but can never make my own any good, even if im doin it on key with the rest.

I think i need some ideas or something and i hope yall understood this because my english can suck sometimes.

Right know im tryin to figure out how to make a bassline on a beat and im using the "sub bass" from hypersonic, and its not a sampled beat.

Edit: Maybe i should have made the thread title "how do you make your basslines"

Last edited:
I usually start creating a song by making the bassline first. I use the default patch in Massive, but make it monophonic and give it quite a bit of portamento. Then, I sequence the basic progression, and once that sounds good, I add more to make it fancy, then I change up the synth.

Last edited:
I add my bass parts early in the process. If it's not the first part I do, it's one of the first 3, at least. I feel like I can pocket the bass with the kicks early and help set the mood of the track.

Start by adding bass notes with your kicks. Maybe not every single kick, but the main pulse of the beat. Then you can see where you can add some movement and still fit in.

try recording your voice to make a bassline.
"hmmmm hmm hmmmm hmmm" like that. Than look if you can detect pitch regions in FL Studio Edison to see what the notes are of your bassline.

Just sayin. maybe it works.
i was just thinking about doing that.

"hmmmm hmm hmmmm hmmm" like that. Than look if you can detect pitch regions in FL Studio Edison to see what the notes are of your bassline.

Nice. If you have a smart phone, grab a voice recorder app. Otherwise, give yourself a call and sing it into your voicemail. It works.

That "Sick Bassline" You are referring to is most likely the result of good foundation. Strong, Tense Harmonic Progression and solid rhythm. Once these things are in place you will find it easier to achieve a Sick Bassline.
--
Lord Noir
Twitter.com/LordNoirTweets

I have a Hohner B2A which I got because of the brand. I always like Hohner Clavinet bass sounds and Bootsy Collins/Parliament bass. I sample bass, upright and other things a lot of the time pitched down and I have some synthesisers.

For me, low end presence like a cello or drums and the funk region is very important. Think about the things in the low mids. I also like electronic sounds and usually run a high pass filter to clear up any frequencies I'm not using.

Get Trillian and practice, practice, practice, playing bass! ;)

Ive tried it and it doesn't really work. Maybe with a good clear mic but even then I still think it would be a little off. Anyways I use to do my Bassline first then add drums but now its the other way round, I normally put my leads, keys, fx and synths towards the end. Its useful knowing what scale your beat is in too.

I take the main harmony (not the melody) of the piece and play the root notes of the chords, but an octave or two below on a keyboard.

Trick I use is Dont put your bass on your claps.Dont try to be too complex unless you feel you need to .Traditional bases with little note tweaks go a work good too.And long basses work good in almost all songs.I find doing the drumline first often makes me make weak melodies.When i find a sound i like i can make a melody off of it almost immediately and the bass will fall into place no problem.

9/10 times I record a real bass over the beat. Just seems easier to me, but every once in a great while I play a synth bass line over the beat. Really it depends on the beat and your style.

I usually play the bass on a higher octave to see how it sounds like, then pitch it down 1 or 2 octaves. usually a sine bass.

Back