How do you make a sound unique?

filters
modulation within the synth i.e. routing lfo's/envelopes to filter cutoff/resonance, osc phase/intensity,
using noise as part of the sound with its own envelope so that it disappears early or arrives late
list is really endless as there are so many possibilities depending on the (soft)-synth

I suppose you express this question as "HOW do you make a sound unique?"

But how about changing it to "How do YOU make a sound unique". How do YOU want to make your sounds sound more unique, in your own opinion?

I love sound design; and love new unique sounds (as with making the standard stuff too)... I kind of feel like the more u push a synth; the deeper and more interesting the sound gets (sounds obvious I guess haha)...

When I get into programming mode, and I want something unique; I'll program until I'm out of options... Eg: 3 osc; 3 env 2 lfo synth?... Each of these will be utilized in one way or another... Simple through to weird ( eg env modulating lfo speed and lfo amount to pitch of an oscillator... Simple but effective)... I generally leave mod slot free when I'm pushing hard for out-there sounds...

A fun thing to try is using envelopes as straight pitch modifiers... Like full sustain and release to suit (no att or dec). Send this to an oscillator and then use the mod amount to set the note of the osc... Key-on and the note strikes; key off and the release instantly pops it back (no release) or slides it back (with a release value to suit)... Using this approach on one or more oscillator can produce some cool effects; particularly if these are modulating other oscillators (eg. AM; sync; fm etc...)...

Just one fun example of the countless options that reach a little outside of the norm...

Back