How do you get a long reverb delay...

HAHA i learned this in school. its ghetto but i think i know what you mean. you want a sick ghost kinda sound right?

i havent seen any vst that can do this realtime effect because your trying to get the audio to delay befor it acctually plays.

if you have any Daw or audio editing software do this...

1. select the audio you want to effect, ie pro tools we would highlight the waveform.

2. With it highlighted Reverse it( that mofo should play in reverse now)

3. Slap a reverb with a good amount of feedback and a good long delay on it, and render it. (The track should still be in reverse when you do this.)

4. After you have added the effects you need to reverse everything again to get it to play normal.

I hope that wasn't to confusing.

so youll be reversing the audio putting a reverd and delay on it and reversing it back got it :)

Once you play with it and get it like you want it, if the effect doesnt work for you just Ctrl +z to undo and try again:) youll start to notice it will sound like a ghost or a lost spirit from a movie, its Kinda ILL. you gave me an idea for a beat ima do this with drum beat. Good luck

Last edited:
In response, I haven't taken any classes but theoretically that's what I figured to do.
though, I think the last option I have is to run a reverse reverb rather than reversing the actual vocal before the verse. The reason is that I don't want the vocal (ghost) effect to be not recognized. I want it suttle but built as a sweep. I'll just have to run a long reverse reverb.

Donkeylips said:
you gave me an idea for a beat ima do this with drum beat. Good luck

Yeah forsure! I think that would be a great experiment to play around with.

reevox effect:

1. Cut the first word in the vocals you wanna make a poltergeist fx on
2. Save this one word into a new file.
3. Add the new file you just created into for example FL Studio or Adobe Audition or whatever you use.
4. Reverse the word so that the singer is singing backwards
5. Add a high amount of reverb onto this reversed wordt isnt it same w
6. Save this as another new file.
7. Add your new file into your software and reverse it again so that the singer is no longer singing backwards
8. You should now have a nice re-vox

I added a 2nd track of the vocal and took the first word from the verse and added a reverse reverb to it. then timed it out 4 bars and it worked perfectly. BUUUUT I will try that suggestion, too!

Thanks for your input guys!

**** ive always wondered how they did that... like on the la coka nostra tracks and what not... thanks for the info

would you say add delay and reverb as send effects or inserts

Last edited:
It is best to use Reverb as a send because if you have alot of them
running you will get a big cpu hit.When you put it on a send channel
the other channel can share that one reverb.
If you are going to do something like reversing the reverb tail it has to be a send
any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it just depends on what you are using (ie, cubase, ableton, Logic, etc.) ALSO depending on what you are using the reverb for (ex. for this reverse reverb) - I wouldn't want the same effect but would like to use another reverb on a different track, so sharing is not an option.

If you are worried about your "cpu being hit" from too many fx's being ran, then render the track with the fx to an audio file and re-open it on an audio track.

AJSpiderSorbello said:
How do you get a long reverb delay (of a vocal) before a vocal "verse" comes in?

- Any ideas?
- best vst fx opinions?

A longer reverb delay needs just a higher decay setting and trough that you can create reverbs that fade very slow out. No special or highend plugins are needed. The idea comes first. Always.

@ All:

Techology is meaningless without being able to understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of confused here but are you guys talking about vocals where only one phrase or word is delayed, such as:

"Broke up with my girl last night so I went to the club (SO I WENT TO THE CLUB, Club, club)"

Or is this something totally different...cuz I wanna know how that's done because I'm sick of putting delay on vocals and then it starts delaying from the first word thus making it sound like you're hearing 10 people at a time.

DJ_Mc7 said:
I'm kind of confused here but are you guys talking about vocals where only one phrase or word is delayed

Nope, they're talking about reverse reverb, where the reverb comes in before the reverbed sound (hence all the reversing and stuff).

To delay just one word, simply automate the delay effect so it's only on when you want it to be.

krushing said:
Nope, they're talking about reverse reverb, where the reverb comes in before the reverbed sound (hence all the reversing and stuff).

1. Reverse the important section
2. Reverb this section with a long decay
3. Reverse again the section

How do u make a word repeat thru the whole track like in Outkast "?" Andre said the word "Love" and went all the way until the track was over...How do u do that?

Back