How do you bend 808s like this? Funk Song.

I dont KNOW, but id say the right automation could do it. BUT

I think its a sub bass not necessarily an 808 drum

Yea I agree, I feel like its the 3xOsc but who knows. I just wanna know how I can implement that sound, not really worried about how he did it. lol. Have alot of instances I can apply that to.

Yeah i was just gon say 3x lol.

Shit bru you know about enabling porta and ****in with that slide already right?

Try an automation clip and **** with that. You know how JJ is lol he prolly just knows exactly how to tweak that curve. Automation clips and sound synthesis is an art all in itself.

I hate the shit out of most of JJ's beats but god damn can he mix master and warp his sounds to do exactly what he needs him too. Plus hes a hustler. I just hate them beats most of the time

Hahahaha. Damn for real? I, a big ass fan of video games and movie sounds, but most of all his mix has caught the shit out my attention. And his sound design of course. Im tryna get on that level and surpas this breh breh. lmfao. I was going to mess with it tonight, just wanted to get a general direction of what hes doing. I figure hes either using automation clips or the portamento, BUT I know he uses alot of Sylenth1..... or so it seems. Alota LFOs, cut offs, and envelopes involved with his ish. I was just tryna get a general if anyone really knew, feel me? Just more efficient. Haha. Why do you hate his beats? Not artist friendly or you just dont like them in general? lol.

Man i dont know...as far as production value goes I respect the shit and look up to him. Its just like...idk you know it doesnt do it for me really. At first I was like ok this is different its pretty cool but now a few years later its just super clean mixes and the same funky video game synth leads with wild bends and all that. Not that I could do what he does.

I mean dont get me wrong he is incredibly talented and is an amazing producer and musician, i just cant really get into the style--but im definitly not hating. The way the man can make a beat and you know its his just by sound and the way his name flies around every ****in where lol......its something

But yeah i wish i could help more on the topic, id say jsut experiment with automation and porta, that would be my first steps. Hopefully someone else will chime in though who knows better cause it would be a good tool to have in the bag. Sorry I couldnt help more

Last edited:
lol, I feel you fam most def. Cant get into everything. I agree, hopefully someone will tune in.

If you wanna do it with an actual 808 not a sub bass just go into the channel settings for the 808, then go to the ADSR settings and turn the attack down all the way and the release down all the way, now when you hold the note it will play until you let go of the key rather than being a one-shot kick and you can use the pitch bend to get whatever effect you want

Fsho, I think there are enough examples of different ways on how to do it effectively now. lol. I think the portamento is the easiers way though.

He didn't bend anything. He used a standard kick and played a bass synthesizer at the same time as the kick. That kick isn't even an 808 kick.

Back