how do some of ya make your melodies?

It comes in various ways, somtimes I will think of somthin, like hummin, I dont really know how I come up wit da melody in my head tho, then I go to the motif and mess wit the keys a lil, an bam....Like someone said before about doin a drum track and then a melody comes to mind...thats the way maybe 70% of my beats start. Then sometimes I could be playin on the keys, I just sit down and play sometimes...but come across a nice progression or somthin that catches my ear......YeUH

can i ask yall a question....when ur on ur keyboard do u press around to find the notes or does it come natural to yall to play a melody as in ur figers know what key to press to get a certain sound...cause i struggle finding the keys but i am a noob pianist, so i am hopin after my lessons i will know my piano like i know how to type on a pc keyboard.

thapi said:
can i ask yall a question....when ur on ur keyboard do u press around to find the notes or does it come natural to yall to play a melody as in ur figers know what key to press to get a certain sound...cause i struggle finding the keys but i am a noob pianist, so i am hopin after my lessons i will know my piano like i know how to type on a pc keyboard.
Hey Thapi:
Yeah... it will come naturally after enough practice. If you do vocal training along with your piano lessons and then combine them you'll be able to have a more natural flow.

You can start by singing each note as you play it. Eventually the melodies in your head will be one with your fingers on the keys.

Some Jazz pianists, like Keith Jarrett, sing/hum as the play. I think I've heard Stevie Wonder do it too.

JLoon219 said:
does it take you guys a long time to come up with a good melody. because i think i suck at making melodies. i make my melodies by putting the notes on by mouse i barely use my keyboard. what are steps in how ya make your melodies?

If you got it already a melody in your head. Just hum it and try to match that with the notes on the keyboard. Other than that, learn a few scales or just keep pressin' those keys until something sticks.

Also, listen to other songs and try to replay them note for note. That will help. Warning: It can be hard to find the exact key of a song sometimes (sometimes the key changes), but keep at it and you will get better. For example, if I'm tryin' to remix or replay a song and I don't get it exactly right. It usually gives me something to start with and then I take it in the direction I wanna go with it or a direction that sounds right.

Also, theory books have helped. Alot of things have helped me. I have improved so much over the last 3 years playing keys. I am very comfortable at the board now. So much so that now, I'm pretty much studying chords and chord progessions almost exclusively. I don't know alot of scales by heart, but I know when something is off in terms of melodies and scales most of the time. I look at the keyboard like a pattern of numbers so to speak.

Last edited:
Yo Joe
wow son this advice: "If you do vocal training along with your piano lessons and then combine them you'll be able to have a more natural flow. "....will change the way i learn the piano cause then i must do it with the vocal trainin

Back