how do some of ya make your melodies?

JLoon219

does it take you guys a long time to come up with a good melody. because i think i suck at making melodies. i make my melodies by putting the notes on by mouse i barely use my keyboard. what are steps in how ya make your melodies?

use a midi controller you get nothing from mouse... plus aftertouch and velocity are not easy to manually create with the mouse.

PROT

I usually just freestyle on the keys until I come up with something I like...... I couldn't imagine using a mouse though.

T-Vo Beats said:
I usually just freestyle on the keys until I come up with something I like...... I couldn't imagine using a mouse though.

but do you add the chords while your playin it on the keyboard. or do you do the chords afterwards? because i suck at playing with chords

JLoon219 said:
but do you add the chords while your playin it on the keyboard. or do you do the chords afterwards? because i suck at playing with chords

That's the beauty of modern technology. I can't play keyboard for sh** so I just record a little at a time and go back and add more when I like.

I play what ever im feelin. I don't find it hard. Usually i can come up with a dopeass bassline or melody. Rarely do I run accross issues where I can't make something. it usually takes 10-12 minutes max.

Enndee said:
I play what ever im feelin. I don't find it hard. Usually i can come up with a dopeass bassline or melody. Rarely do I run accross issues where I can't make something. it usually takes 10-12 minutes max.

werd because i find it easy to probably make the main melody by keyboard. but i might have to work around it with other instruments by mouse

I use many differnt methods. Freestyle on the instrument, humming and mouthing words (often unintelligible). When I'm in one of those writing ruts, I listen to a wide selection of music put out in years past.
Sometimes I'll go digging in the itunes to catch a feel or mood of a song.

Just like a cat that goes through vinyl to find a sample.

There are only so many combo's of notes and chords you can string together, so make use of the stuff already created.

so when you got your drums laid out and you've been sitting and staring at the screen looking for some notes, take a break, put on some music and absorb the feel. take and impart that feel in your song/beat. Don't copy just feel it. Another good tactic is to drop an arp and tweak to you get something you like, then delete the arp and use your notes.

Takamine acoustic into Rme interface.
Shure SM7 into Rme interface.
Launch Ableton Live.
Arm the mic and guitar tracks.
Arm the metronome.
And away you go with the writing/comping.

Ive never tried anything faster really.
Well ..other than a mini tape recorder lol.

owendolmer said:
Takamine acoustic into Rme interface.
Shure SM7 into Rme interface.
Launch Ableton Live.
Arm the mic and guitar tracks.
Arm the metronome.
And away you go with the writing/comping.

Ive never tried anything faster really.
Well ..other than a mini tape recorder lol.

You're kinda old fashioned but in a good way. ;)

What I do is I listen for 1 or 2 hours to classical or film music. Believe me your brain gets more musical after a couple of hours. After that it's a matter of humming or playing various stuff on the keyboard always using a Reason Pianos preset on Reason (love the sounds).

Yea, sequencin Reason thru Live is dope. Sometimes i'll record sounds from Reason as audio and mangle'em up in Live to get some stuff goin. Basically i like to experiment to come up with new stuff.
LevLove

find a scale from a music theory website and fiddle with those eight keys. it'll give u a reasonable constraint that's musical, so no matter what key u press it'll sound decent. then when u start to get something then you ad chords on top of that, usually major and minor, maybe a 7th or 9th). Invert a chord or 2( switch 1 of the keys of the chord to a higher/lower octave).

Starsmore said:

What I do is I listen for 1 or 2 hours to classical or film music. Believe me your brain gets more musical after a couple of hours. After that it's a matter of humming or playing various stuff on the keyboard always using a Reason Pianos preset on Reason (love the sounds).

basicaly mine is the same way..

i interpolate a lot of harmonies from other songs.. and make them my main melody.. lol idk if thats cheating.. but its basically forming songs from songs lol..

like that Just Let It Go track has harmonies from Player's Prayer by Lloyd and Last Time by Trey Songz, and i just build from there.

are the Reason Pianos really that good??, cause i mite get that next i've been dying to find some good piano sounds and i cant find anything

^^^ I love the Refill but maybe you could try a plug in like Akoustik. Idk man the philosophy behind both is pretty much the same meaning that what you hear is basically a sample.

Consider this: http://www.pianoteq.com/

usually a melody gets stuck in my head either from watching tv or listening to the radio. i will hum it or whistle it for a couple of days, and then i'll record that melody. now days i try to pre-arrange every thing in my head including the hook, before i try to record anything.

I just mess around on the Keystation until I find something I like, then I record and quantize for a great sound.

I used to do a lot of point and click but now I really appreciate my midi controller. Things get done a lot faster and better. It's good to switch it arond sometimes though. Usually I just play around on the keyboard and play random whatever but make sure I record it. Then later I can listen to a list of tracks I've recorded and make a beat for whichever one I'm feeling at the moment.

Sometimes it helps to not quantasize the notes because smallest mistakes makes it more human.

Last edited:
Starsmore said:

hahaha. I couldn't agree more.
The brain's screaming creativity when those tunes get shut off..... You start writing... you start to compose... you start laying down all these great ideas... and as time goes by those ideas get cluttered, unfocussed, biased with your own garbage and well, all sorts of things. Then you reach for the disc changer and repeat the entire process again.
ahaha.
Yeah, that's why my tv's found a permanent home on MTV.
IDEAS.....................
:cheers:

Last edited:
I come up with things on the fly, it's kind of like a "Rain Man" effect with me I hear the drums and then all of a sudden I get a melody in my head and I go with it.

make a long loop and record all yourself playing, then chop out all the good bits and re-arange, coming up with ideas, then when u have something you like, copy it

Back