How do pros co-write?

KasperL

I am not sure this is the right forum but here it goes anyway:
I am a songwriter in the old fashion sense and a producer.
I co-write with a hiphop producer and we are trying to write hit pop/rnB songs. We are inspireret by peoplelike Scott Storch, Dupri, Darkchild, Neptunes a.o.
Most hitsongs have a hookline which is a special sound, a guitar riff or something etnic

Does anyone know how these people write their songs? Do they begin with the song and the melody, or du they build upon a hookline riff?
We have some fights because I am used to the old way by finishing the song before producing it... can anyone help?
Thanks

Last edited:
hey thats an interesting question. i dont know if no one answered just cuz no one knows or what.... but i will bump it.

i dont really know how the 'pros' do it....

peace.

Producers such as Jazzy Pha for example do the hook of the song in order to get the writting credit. The reason they do that is because most producers have publishing contracts which says they have to write 10 songs a year. So usually as they make the beat they come up with a hook.

So when the artist comes in and hears the beat the producer hums his lil hook and since they made the beat it should sound good. At that point either the artist lets them do it themselves or the artist performs the hook. Either way they now get writing credit on the song.

I took some songwriting classes from Sue Ennis (songwriter for "Heart" multi-platinum)... and from what I got from her that is pretty much anything goes.
Some songs are started with a hook/riff, while other songs are just written ahead of time and the song is built around it.
Also, she decribed times when bands are on a tight schedule from their label to release an album and they bring in 2 to 5 songwriters and literally slam out several tracks. With this scenario they usually have a song title or theme to work with.

okay...
My problem is that when I hear productions of today I often feel that it is that sound of the production that is more important than the actual melody. It confuses me as a songwriter because I have allways felt that when I had a good song it was easyer to make hooks in the production. With hooks I mean small melodys, sounds that is interesting...
Try to watch the video with Pharell Williams on this site, it is very inspiring I think.

Thanks for the response and please keep on going

Kasper

Whatever comes 1st. Alot fo times people
go of the Hooks. Or they begin Humming a
melody line and just lace words that fit the timing (co writers right there)

Studio's i've been in with Ghost writers they seem to actually concentrate on the hook after that the verse is simple
(for club/mainstream music)

FoSho said:
Producers such as Jazzy Pha for example do the hook of the song in order to get the writting credit. The reason they do that is because most producers have publishing contracts which says they have to write 10 songs a year. So usually as they make the beat they come up with a hook.

i thought producer get writers credit?

KasperL:

Thanks for that link to the videos. Pharrell is one of my favorite producers.. There's a few more on there that I wouldn't mind checking out.

You are welcome..

It is worth giving it a look once in awhile. Because new stuff shows up, but alot of it features some stoned producers who are not worth the time
:-)

I'm kind of disappointed that Dre isn't on there yet. I'm going to definately keep looking out tho since you said it gets updated.

Back