How do producers switch up there instrumentals and melodies?

StanleySteamer

hey guys, this may be a dumb question but a lot of times when I make beats I am able to make one type of pattern and melody and then add some more on top of it but when I listen to a lot of hit records and songs produced by like metroboomin or southside or murda beatz they tend to switch up a lot of instrumentals and melodies and still everything flows together and sounds cohesive. I would really like to learn how to incorporate that into my beats. Any help or suggestions? Feedback always appreciated thanks!

you could write your chords, melodies, and bass and then simply use different instruments for different parts of that musical part. For example, have your melody play for one bar with a piano, then copy the next bar of the midi over to a synth. Play around with the arrangement and this is sure to give you more interesting results

you could write your chords, melodies, and bass and then simply use different instruments for different parts of that musical part. For example, have your melody play for one bar with a piano, then copy the next bar of the midi over to a synth. Play around with the arrangement and this is sure to give you more interesting results

Appreciate the response! Whenever I do it it just doesn't sound cohesive it's hard to explain. I can always change the beat up adding or taking away stuff and changing the drums up but I can never get a good switch up on instruments and melodies.

I am also working on learning to layer my sounds better. Do you guys tend to layer the same instrument in the same octave or an octave apart? Like if I wanted to layer some piano and strings and my piano is at octave 3 should my strings be in octave 4 with the same pattern?

Last edited:
If you are having a hard time getting something to sound good when switching up melodies and instruments, listen to a song that does this well for you and copy the structure of it. This isn't to just copy someones structure and be done with it, but to help you understand how and why they switch up melodies and instruments on a deeper level as you will actually be doing it. Then try working on another song without copying the structure. If they are instruments in the same frequency spectrum (pianos, strings, and synths) then you will definitely want to be playing them an octave apart as they have many overlapping frequencies and it will be hard to get each individual instrument to stick out in the mix. Our latest tutorial on how to make future bass gives an in depth view on layering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb8V483XeSU

Back