How do producers make the highhats on time??

Hello, good afternight.

We play them first (most producers do this for the realism of the showcased velocity). After they play them, then/and/or go into their DAW and edit the notes for stutters and such.

Quantizing is another option which most people use. Just don't quantize when your velocities are all the same, quantize the notes after YOU play them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
one word........rhythm... i play all of my fills and triplets by hand with no quantization. but if u arent that skilled in layin drum patterns yet, then a step editor would be a good choice as an alternative.. with mild quantization and alternating velocities

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to quantize, a lot of upcoming producers think that you shouldn't quantize, but truth is, most of the songs you hear are quantized, I know... trust me.

if u have a good sense of rhythm then u dont need to quantize. all quantizing does is take notes that are off and snap them into place on a grid. If you play the notes on time in the first place, then there is no need for it. Having every note snapped into place sounds somewhat mechanical to me, sometimes its ok to have your notes "slightly" off ...but thats all swing is. The bottom line is this: If you arent that great at programming your drums then you may need to quantize them but you dont HAVE to if you can program them on time in the first place

some hat are def. quantitized...the faster it is the harder it would be to play not quantitized...but if its slow enough don't use it..or play it slow first without quantitized and then just speed it up...the slower the beat is the more you would be able to notice it...like if its fast you would never no the difference between quantitized or not...but the slower it is the less you should use because it shoudl sound realistic...no drummer ever really played they're hi-hats that fast...they did like in Foo Fighters Everlong...but whatever

lol Everlong...dude was killin those hats...some of my alltime favorite drumwork.. have u heard thsi song by A Perfect Circle called "Lets Have A War"? The song covers the Fear song of the same name...those drums are ridiculous.. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

one thing i hate about quantizing is if your melody is rightfully off the exact tempo which is ok then its more obveous. rhythm is underrated tho. practice rhythm everyday weather its taping a box at work or slapin them skins. this will help your live feel down the line. well worth the time.

Back