How do I write a beat?

The proper term is composing. Are you familiar with DAWs and their function(s)? What kind of music do you want to make, if you aren't already doing so and where are you from? If you knew how to register at FP you should know how to search YouTube, use it in conjunction with the forum, but more importantly, use the Search function on FP.

Last edited:
I am familiar with it. I am making dance music. I am from Tbilisi, Georgia, Eastern Europe.
When I mean beat I mean dance beat like the one heard on disco.

Form your layout in a step called Pre-composition.
Plan out Tempo, the length of the piece, and how many measure it will take to achieve that; Also determine your key(s).
Then plan out cadences, which are the endings to the musical phrases. (Ex: Usually found on the end of measures 4, 8, and 16 in a sixteen-measure structure). Relate these Cadences to the key you are in, and determine what sonorities would punctuate the phrases well.

Then start composing/improvising.

After you get a draft, finalize it.
Mix it
Master it
????
Profit

Learn about scales, harmonic field, chords, chord progression, greek modes and everything about music theory. I start my beats with a scale in my mind, so I respect the harmonic field, add chords, melody, so add or subtract some elements to make the beat sound different in some part. Of course, it's better you dominate your DAW software.

Last edited:
Back