How do I start a song???

Gou

Hello everyone,
I really need some good help on this thread. I am a 15 years old new producer and recently I have been trying to make a song on FL Studio 12 and I know pretty much everything that needs to be known to create a first basic EDM song. The major problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO START! What are the best plug-ins to use to make some House? Where do I start? Do I need to get my melody first or my chords first? Does anybody have a good tutorial on YT that I can follow to help myself? Anyway, all help is appreciated and if you have a long message to send me or deep explanations, feel free to send me a private message.
Thank you very much

YouTube is FULL of tutorials.

You can start a song anywhere that inspires you-- lyrical content, melody, chords, bass-line, rhythm. Many people start with chord changes over a basic beat because it is an easy entrée, but literally any one element can lead to the rest.

If you are working with loop-based production (which is a good idea if you are brand noob to composing), start with a groove you like, then add either chords (the melody can spring from that), or a bass-line to create chords from, and see what develops.

GJ

Hi, you can start almost from anywhere as long you have inspiration. Get focused on one instrument/vocal of a song, progress to a point that it actually starts to sound as a song/track and then add more instruments/vocals. I usually start with bass and percussion, because it's the main groove of the track and helps with being in time with the rest of the instruments. Hope that helped, have fun!

It is depending alot what you are feeling. Notice: If you want start first making drums, you have to build the track aroumd that. And if you did choose wisely your drum samples, the drums will be in specific key. So you need to select right key for the chord progressions and melodies. My tip is listen more what you are making and try to do that what sound good. If something doesnt sound good, there is a problem which you need fix.

and sorry, english isnt my first language.

Last edited:
I would also suggest that you start with transcribing other songs, so that you can the structure and how the melodies are laid out. Transcribing is great practice for actually composing your own songs.

It really takes some time if you're a complete beginner. You need to start acquiring basic knowledge of the software, plugins and samplers you're using but not to forget that you also need to learn some music theory.

Then comes a point where you realize that you can actually do some loops with samples and plugin sounds by your own. You keep experimenting around, doing loops and different kind of projects and then some day, you have enough skills to pull out complete tracks that actually makes sense and has potential.

You can analyze others' tracks and music but it might be hard for a starter. Try copying and testing stuff, adding something of your own and seeing why something works and does certain things.

Start playing around in the piano roll section or just making patterns with samples (drums) and adding them to gether as a loop. You can also start thinking what could you add to make it bigger and greater sounding but also think about what elements could build it from part to part.

Start with learning the music theory first, the basics. Then you can continue with harmony (i recommend the european classical harmony). Then you'll see it's much easier and creative knowing these two most important things in writing music. I recommend to take private lessons with trained theorist.

First of all, you need to know exactly what sort of music you want to make. Then, you should listen to that music and learn how is been made. Then, read few books (production techniques, music theory, mixing) before you go to sleep, then listen and listen again. After some time, you should go to your chosen DAW and start messing around. And never give up, practice makes perfect! Work smarter, not harder.

You can start almost anywhere, But i useally start by making the drums first, Get a little taste of how the beat is gonna be, Then i create the bass and sub.. But you can do it anyway you want, sound design first, or bass first, chords are ideally what people nornally start with

You are so young to be a producer! But live your dream kid! First have an inspiration so that you can write a good song

An intro isnt any more special then any other section. If you have say an 8 bar verse? Then try to imagine something simple that leads from it that can lead to it. All it is, is a means to an end after all. You might know however much you know about EDM, but you have to learn freedom. The idea that it's ok to be wrong in the pursuit of being right. So try things. If they don't work? Delete them and try again. Develop good habits and realize that 'fear' or not believing in yourself only stops you and that others can help you but there is no right or wrong when it comes to being creative musically or stylistically. If you are focused purely on EDM, just listen to some edm songs and go from there. The best instrument you have is how you think. If you can develop your ability to think, you will over come many things because ideas will come to you and you know that will be so. So you can do a chorus but not an intro? Think about what an introduction is. If you have done most else but intro then your almost home ;)

Last edited:
Hardest thing i've found is searching through the endless VSTs for sounds I want. I think the more you use the software the more you know your go to sounds

Back