How do i make this sound? (pt 2)

Mauri358

Hi i dont know if i express myself correctly, but i just want to know how this sound is produced.. I've made my research and i cant find how to produce it anywhere so i hope you can solve my problem.
I've realised this sound in Avicii's city lights track at the very start from 0:05 to 0:25. You can hear a kick and a snare. Does the snare have something to do with reverb and the reberb tail, how do you make this sound?
Please send links, tutorials, and more..
Thanks in advance.

There is a kick layered under the snare, the snare has a subtle reverse snare buildup on every other hit. It sounds like the snare sample on every other hit also changes, as well as the velocity and panning. The snare itself sounds like it's made up of a real snare, a snap and a clap, and it just sounds like it has pretty basic reverb settings. The front of the reverb is being cut by compression from the kick.

Last edited:
Cool, but what would be the kick layered under the snare for? And also, what would be the velocity and panning for? Thanks for the reply

Well in this kind of dance music the drum pattern is called "4 on the floor" meaning the kick hits on all four beats including over the snare. I think the snare is panned center but every other snare has the reverse snare buildup panned hard left which makes the snare sound bigger on that hit. There is also a loud high pitched vocal sample being played on top of the snare on every hit.

This has been so much help, without your help i wouldn't have been able to recreate that sound! So cool, thanks.

Back