How do I make my track sound 'full'?

claytonocean

The title says it all, how do I add mid frequencies to my track? This might seem like a stupid question, but I just started producing and am a bit of a noob. I know you can use EQ, but what other ways are there? Like what sounds should I add to make my track sound "full" and not hollow. I already have a good lead and a decent bass for the highs and lows. I'm talking about EDM here, by the way.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
i dont think it is a good idea try and learn everything first months i would recommend you to take it one by one

first week I would start with learning compressors and see all the details because they are really important and cool, and not really difficult to understand
you look for all the details
what is; threshold, ratio, attack, release,
what is side chain
what can i do with multiband compressors,
what is paralel compressor

and you keep writing down things so when you compress you have the notes to remind and not repeat same mistakes for 10 years like some people do

a specially if you dont have like super-memory
you better write down and you dont need to search online for same things you already did

read the manuals of different kind of compressors online even analog compressors, just try to learn them not to buy,
at the end if you are really good at it you dont need expensive tools, you do perfect job with most simple tools that someone would not even consider them

when you are done with compressors you may want to start with EQ and this is difficult one because there are no rules, you cant learn it perfectly for a week, but as you keep writing down like
what happens if i boost the sound 50hz
what happens if i boost 100, 250, 400, 800, 1.5k, 3k, 5k, 7, 10, 15,
what should i do if two or more sounds have same frequencies; kick and bass or chat and an ohat

but first i would go one week learning compressors perfectly with all its details,

Proper arrangement is a high importance, so you have proper layers that complement eachother to make a fuller sound, as well as using different octaves at different volumes if it's synths/instruments and to use suitable chords and so on, not to mention the sound selection itself determines the fullness.
Then EQ surely can add some (as well as compressors) if a sound is a bit thin, for instance with a slight boost around 300-500 Hz (not always these numbers, but as a guide). But this isn't any given formula, sometimes that boost can make your sound become boxy/muddy instead.

That's at least some brief insight. I suppose you're not ready yet for any detailed in depth explanations yet.
As you're new, keep these things in mind, but don't expect your songs to instantly sound fuller as it takes experience, time, and experimentation to make good quality music.

As for what to learn first as suggested above - don't go with any specific effect/plugin, instead get a basic grip on the most common tools and the most fundamental things to do when producing. Then you can dive more into these things one by one in depth and get a better undertsanding.
So no, don't dive into compression the first thing you do, you'll just get confused. Instead take a step back and get to know what different tools and approaches you have rather than picking one thing right away and diving into it.
I'd suggest getting a basic grip on EQ's and filters, compression, gates, sidechain, reverbs, delays, distortion, and various common effects. Also get some experience moving the faders.

Last edited:
As for what to learn first as suggested above - don't go with any specific effect/plugin, instead get a basic grip on the most common tools and the most fundamental things to do when producing. Then you can dive more into these things one by one in depth and get a better undertsanding.
So no, don't dive into compression the first thing you do, you'll just get confused. Instead take a step back and get to know what different tools and approaches you have rather than picking one thing right away and diving into it.
I'd suggest getting a basic grip on EQ's and filters, compression, gates, sidechain, reverbs, delays, distortion, and various common effects. Also get some experience moving the faders.

front sounds should be -6 db,
and background sounds around -10 to -20

you keep the sounds -6 db to let some free space for master
there is no reason to complicate that

front sounds should be -6 db,
and background sounds around -10 to -20

you keep the sounds -6 db to let some free space for master
there is no reason to complicate that

Not sure why you bring that up all of sudden...

Anyway, there is no given rule how loud sounds should be in addition to eachother numberwise inside the track, this is a thing common among newcomers to music production as they haven't learned to use their ears that good yet neither having good experience, and feel they need all these figures to make good music (while they don't).
The only common practice while producing is to let loudest element peak at around -10 to -12 dBFS (mainly the kick) to keep enough headroom, not all follow these specific levels though, and if you're in a 32-bit DAW you don't even have to care about them at all as long as the output volume from the program doesn't exceed 0 dBFS.
More than that the only correct thing that I read was rendering the track at -6 dBFS before sending it to mastering, which is more or less just a preferred industrial standard among mastering engineers.
However this is not the topic.

Getting a brief overview of everything like I suggested is what you'll also see in an introductionary book into modern music production.

Last edited:
Back