How do I make the music sound BIG or POWERFUL?

Arcane7

Hi, I'm new to the producing seen and have started a new track. I have everything up until the "chorus" (don't know many terms) including the build up and all. I cannot seem to get past this as I don't know how to get the chorus to sound big and powerful rather than just another bit of the song. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for all help :)
Arc7

There are many ways you can make your chorus bigger than the other parts of the song. Generally it comes down to adding stuff that hasn't been there before. For example, opening up a low pass filter on a synth, which adds high frequencies in the chorus. Adding instruments. Layering a synth sound with one or two more synths. Or you leave the bass out of the verse and bring it in in the chorus, so you add low frequencies. With vocals (or other instruments) you can work with layering and panning. Let the voice be mono in the verse, for the chorus layer multiple vocal tracks and pan them left and right. Add reverb and/or delays. Add percussion or wooshes...

Like I said, it's all about adding elements that haven't been there and create a sense of denser and broader image. Broadening the frequency spectrum, the stereo image and the sound staging (how near or far away an instrument seems to be).

If your chorus is too small compared to the verse, then you probably have too much going on in the verse in addition to the chorus. A common habit is as suggested above to remove things right before the transition to the choru to create more impact.
You can even automate the volume down 1 dB or so during a few seconds before the chorus (make it so you don't notice it fading away), and then bring it back right when the chorus starts.
You can also adjust the dry/wet for reverbs etc to create more difference between verse and chorus.
You can also use different tones and dynamic shapes on sounds wether they are in the verse or the chorus (not recommended though if you use the same sounds in both verse and chorus) to maybe make the sounds in the verse a bit softer, and then when the chorus starts maybe use a more sustained dynamic shaep on the sounds.
However wether you do this successfully or not depends on your experience. But experiment with it and do some good ol' trial and error.

That being said, the most imprtant aspect is your knowledge in songwriting and arrangement, as well as actually having good song ideas that works practically (not ideas that you just think sounds awesome in your head).

Layering your sounds would make the tracks feel fuller. Also making use of your total equalization range.

Back