How do I make this 808 sub/kick clean?

digidoc

https://soundcloud.com/goodcomeslast/808-demo

I'm using lex 808 kick (the cleanest I got), eq-ed and cut up to 60. I compressed it 5ms attack, 10ms release, -12db threshold, 5:1 ratio, hard knee. I've been going over this for months and I still can't get rid of the rumble and the muddiness. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Sounds like it's overlapping each time you play the note.. Any bass samples should be set to cut when the next note plays. It also sounds like you've done way too much to it. If it has that sound before you even mess with it and with the cut set properly, use another sample. Another trick you can do is cut some of the sub frequencies below 50hz, doing this brings out the highs and may help it some. Chances are, if you have to spend more than a minute or two to make the sound bearable, you shouldn't be using it.

Yea, less is more. If it sounds good then don't mess with it too much. It took me a long time to realize that all the tweaking I was doing was actually making things worse. If you must eq it, say if you want more low to high mids cut some out of the lower frequencies. And vice versa if you want to bring out the sub, cut some treble.

whatever you are using to trigger the sample make sure that you set

new note resets to start

aka synch start on

Back