How do i get my kicks to sound massive?

Kicks sound layered....instrumental sounds heavily compresses as well. For starts you can layer different kicks .sounds like there is a wide stereo field on the kick as well. Might want to experiment with that .. What sequencer are you using ?

Yah definitely try layering different kick sounds. Also possibly try putting a limiter on the track and you might want to look into shaping the attack envelope of the kick that you are working with, to give it more punch?

Well basically a limiter is a compressor with a ratio set to 10:1 or higher....

It allows you to basically turn the gain on that track up more, without having it clip. Your signal peaks will not reach the levels they did before, meaning you have more headroom to work with and again can therefore turn up the kick track....

Separate the drum beat into separate tracks and then put the limiter on the kick track.

Also limiters are good to put on your output track right before you bounce, to enhance the overall gain on your entire mix.

It is important to use good sounds also, dont let any crappy sounds into your beats. Make a collection of the best drums practice layering them.

Well basically a limiter is a compressor with a ratio set to 10:1 or higher....

It allows you to basically turn the gain on that track up more, without having it clip. Your signal peaks will not reach the levels they did before, meaning you have more headroom to work with and again can therefore turn up the kick track....

awesome. now i actually know what a limiter does when i use it

Are there any drums you would recommend?

Every soundpack you download usually has 1 or 2 drums that are hard and banging like you are looking for, the most important part is developing your ear to be able to pick those out yourself. If you can't do that on your own, you got a long way to day. Just google soundpack rapid share and you should get tons of results.

Last edited:
I already have a ton of soundpacks. I wanted to know what soundpacks you would recommend based on quality.

I already have a ton of soundpacks. I wanted to know what soundpacks you would recommend based on quality.

idk what style of music you make but superstar O and johnny juliano kits have good drums

Vengeance. Also, try parallel compression for your drums. And when you mixdown, make each drum sit in their own space. So they pop out and are well defined (punchy). Always center your kick and snare. Set the level of your kick to about -9 or -10 db and build your mix around the kick.

Last edited:
You can always use some effects to make the beat more outstanding.

- Bloodoverdrive
- basboost

In combo with limiter

Last edited:
firstly find good samples. Vengeance is reliable. Don't compress too much as you will squash all the rich bass. minimal limiting and compressing I would advise

^ Vengeance bhaha! This isn't middle school anymore try Sounds in HD ! Buy all there shit it goes harrrrrd. Don't sleep !

this isn't middle school anymore...well considering in the past I have produced tracks supported by all the big DJ names in the past using some Vengeance samples, I doubt you can laugh them off.

Back