How Do I Get My Drums As Good As This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonT

Hi All!

How do I get my drums as good as on this track?

YouTube

And what are the hi-hats doing? I know they're straight 16th notes but how do they add the flavor here?

Thanks!

At the beginning, the hi-hats are on the upbeats (off beats; "ands"); when the 16th notes do kick in, that same accent on the upbeats continues. Try adding an opening on the "ands" in each grouping of 16th notes ("1-e-and-ah 2-e-and-ah 3-e-and-ah 4-e-and-ah").

GJ

At the beginning, the hi-hats are on the upbeats (off beats; "ands"); when the 16th notes do kick in, that same accent on the upbeats continues. Try adding an opening on the "ands" in each grouping of 16th notes ("1-e-and-ah 2-e-and-ah 3-e-and-ah 4-e-and-ah").

GJ

Yeah I know the pattern at the beginning and when it kicks in. When it kicks in it will be straight 16th notes. I was wondering if anyone knew what accents were on the other hats?

Anybody got any ideas on how the other drum elements are processed?

I don't think you understand me. The big bold "ands" is where the accents are. It's not exactly "straight" 16ths if there are heavy accents on every upbeat.

Count it. You can do it with openings on the ands, or program another half-open/loose hat to play them (sounds like what was done).

Other drum elements are tight kick, clap subbing for snare, toms and snare on fills, bongos, trash can lid and/or pipe percussion. Healthy dose of compression. Sounds might be TR-909. Compare: YouTube

GJ

Last edited:
>>>>Good as in rhythm, sound design or mixing?<<<<

Exactly.

I don't think we're going to get much more clarification here though.

GJ

sounds like the hi hats are on the off beat at first - and then when the 16th beats come in, its just layered underneath the main "off beat" open hi hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back