how do i get my beats to bounce

BlackTorch

I need to know some things.

1. how do i give my beats bounce? how do you freak a metronome?
2. i think im having trouble understanding measures and which type of instrument works best in a paticular measure.
3. someone said chords set and melodies carry. i was wondering if someone could explain that a little better?
4 .how do you tune your drums? what parameters am i looking for?

Last edited:
How you play it will give it bounce.
What you use can give bounce too.
I you were to just play a pad sound you will get no
bounce but if you add a trancegate it will add bounce.
The way someone cuts up a sample can too.

What I am saying there are many ways to get it

It's all about creating movement, you can do that in a huge amount of ways. Obvious things are the timing of the parts, the velocity of the parts, ( esp on drums ) how the parts interact with each other to form a 'rhythmic whole', right down to the way you sequence automation.

You just gotta experiment with everything until you find your sound and your own technique. It will come, it just takes time/practice and experimentation.

Try making a normal 4 bar loop that you would make into 8 bars and double the tempo to match, so if you normally would make a beat at 80 bpms make the 8 bar loop at 160 bpms. Next put the snare on the last 1/4note of each bar and the kick at the beggining of each 1/4 note of a bar, and put your hi-hats on 8th or 4th note quantization, now you have a drumloop playing back at 80bpms with a whole lotta space to make it swing. That will help some but you just have to keep at it to find what gives you a good swing with what you use for production.

i think you might be over thinking it a bit, there is no one particular right way to add bounce. It just comes out of you, but one way i found is to make your hi hat vary in velocity, if you throw a 1/16 hat all the way through, go loud, then soft (or the other way) it will ad some bounce to an otherwise steady hat.

one thing you can do, dont quantize...a lot of people will tell you to quantize, but YOU have to know when and when not to do it

Back