How Do I Get That Main Growling Bassline Used In This Track [Hip-Hop Production]

atorrealba

Hi i'm trying to figure out how to recreate this bass type sound in Eric Dingus's song. I feel like it will sound better in my mixes than just a standard 808. If anyone could help me produce this with Serum, Massive or Sylenth1, that would be ultimately helpful :cheers:

Hi, try using chorus or unisono (and slightly detune the oscs) on a simple saw bass with a lowpass filter. You can even try using this kind of effects with a 808 bass - experimenting is the key :).

Hi, try using chorus or unisono (and slightly detune the oscs) on a simple saw bass with a lowpass filter. You can even try using this kind of effects with a 808 bass - experimenting is the key :).

What do you mean chorus on an 808? Wouldn't it be some type of slight reverb to get that atmospheric sound? What Frequency do I set the LPF at? If you can post a Sylenth/Massive patch that would be appreciated cause my detuned saws with chorus sound off

No, not reverb. The Cld has got it; it sounds like a patch that is emulating a 5-string fretless and/or out-of-phase-pick-ups electric bass.
It could also be an acoustic sample tuned down a bit.

You want longer, legato notes, and you want to mess with chorus, phase-shift, or flanger as effects, and/or the multiple oscillators detuned approach to get close to this sound. The trick is not going overboard. If you detune oscillators, just try a few cents at a time, and leave one at 0, the other one or two slightly sharp or flat.

GJ

What do you mean chorus on an 808? Wouldn't it be some type of slight reverb to get that atmospheric sound? What Frequency do I set the LPF at? If you can post a Sylenth/Massive patch that would be appreciated cause my detuned saws with chorus sound off

In Massive it'd look something like this:

Saw OSC (one or more) -> LPF (set it low, something like 300 Hz - the higher you set it the more 'presence' you'll get in your bass) -> Chorus (High amount, slow rate) OR Unison (like GJ has wrote earlier) OR Chorus + Unison (again, you have to experiment)

If you'll use a sample of an electric bass or like I said even an 808 you should be able to achieve similar effects.
It's not that hard really, it'll be better for you if you try to do it by yourself :victory:

Cheers!

agree with gj - sounds like phased pickups on a real bass: I can hear root, octave and 12th in the sound mix making this bass sound (maybe also the double octave) - use a flanger to replicate the comb filtering you can hear (slow rate and shallow depth, little feedback/resonance and a moderate amount of the manual setting) I'm talking in terms of the Boss BF-2 controls but any reasonable digital emulation will do

Turns out it was actually a Massive preset from a third-party bank with unisono

I guess the simpler you are the better of your sound will be

Now if anyone can help me find out what sound occurs at 0:24, what sound is it? Sounds like a low-passed, reverbed synth, if not then it's a Vengeance Electro sample VES or VEC2/VFX sample with slight reverb and H-delay

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing that pre-set.

The sound at :24 could be a synth, or something like an electric guitar sample dripping with spring reverb; hard to tell.

Are you trying to completely re-make this track?

GJ

Back