how do i do drumroll in rebirth

fleece

I saw there a few composers using drumrolls in some rebirth songs. How do I do that .. I only have rebirth software, no hardware. Please help!

simple answer

* Go to the bottom drum machine (I think it's the 909?)
* Select the snare drum.
* On the pattern editor, click on every beat.
Hey presto ... 16 semiquavers. That's all a drum roll is.

You might want to double up some of the beats (i.e. make them into two demisemiquavers). To do this, I think you have to click on a button to the left of the pattern editor (it goes red or green I think) then click on the beats you want to double. You would probably only want to do this to the 8th and/or 16th beats. You might have to change the speed of the 'roll' so that you only get two hits instead of 3 or more.

To get a build up, export a few bars of the snare roll to a WAV file and use a wave editor to fade it in.

variations...

not just putting all the light on, on 909 and also try to make a melody out of it which fits with the other bar. i mean it should sound like a melody of snares, kicks and hi-hats. and don't forget to put a strong crash at the end of it. listen carefully to a professionally made song. try to imitate and finally make your own...

I use rebirth, too- here' s how i do it:

designate one drum machine for your basic rythym (909) and one for supplimental rythym (808)

take the 808 and put snares on every 16th note of one pattern. While in song mode, turn on record, and start to program as normal. when you get to the part of the song that you want to drumroll, switch to that pattern and program it in. you'll now have a drumroll that doesnt fade in. to make it fade in, while in live record mode, start with the volume down and slowly increase until you break your roll :)

-Lodger:D

Back