How Do I Create This Effect?

SimonT

Sigma - Nobody To Love (Sigma's Future Jungle Mix) - YouTube

In this track, Sigma - Nobody To Love (Sigma's Future Jungle Mix), I want to know how to create 3 effects that are happening in the beginning of the song. The main one I want though, is the effect happening at 19seconds. It's hard to explain what it is really. Something being automated or pitch bended down, a sparkly wet sound is the only way to dsescribe it to me, with only a novice production background haha!
The second sound/effect I want to emulate, happens when the song starts off. A wind type noise, a very smooth white noise probably, filtered somehow, eq'd and possibly compressed perhaps? What would make it so smooth? Then the last one I want to achieve, is at just under 3 seconds, as a hi-hat sounds, and a synth chord starts, then a couple of seconds after, cause it is being automated I presume, so takes a couple of seconds to become heard, but there's another choiry/windy sound starts, can anybody explain what that sound is, and how it's achieved? starts to become hearable at 6seconds, then very noticable at 9-10 seconds, but faintly behind the synth chord. Some of these are probably sittin' somewhere in the mix, at the right frequencies, eq'd so that they sit exactly where the producer wants. Anyway, any help here would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can give you the simple things, but not EQ or compression.

Wind noises come from white noise with a slightly resonant bandpass put over the top and modulated: you might want to use an automation clip for the modulation.

I have a feeling that the 'sparkly' noise comes also from white noise and a resonant bandpass, but this time use an fast lfo to modulate the cutoff, then use an envelope to slow down the rate of the LFO? Might not be correct, but it's something like that.

Third sound is a slightly vowelly voxy sound?
Could be more white noise with a vocoder or formant filter (look up forma-8) over the top, and then an lfo on volume, but I'm guessing a bit here.

I might have a go at replicating them later.

I'm glad this wasn't the other dnb tune called sigma (the noisia one), cause the effects in that one are impossible to replicate.

Last edited:
Thanks scrapheaper. I knew wind noises came from white noise, but just wondered what else was going on. The first one is white noise yes, with the frequency being automated on a filter, probably a high pass. For the 2nd one, I was just messing around with white noise with a formant filter added. You're right I think. I'm now hearing sidechaining, are you? I did my sidechaining like I learnt earlier as it goes, on Reason, using a compressor and a Redrum (drum machine) to trigger it, and it didn't sidechain for some reason. Reason does have a habit of doing this.
For the 3rd one, a mate said white noise, for that sparkly sound, but I disagreed. Now you've said it too, hmmm!

Last edited:

Sigma - Nobody To Love (Sigma's Future Jungle Mix) - YouTube

In this track, Sigma - Nobody To Love (Sigma's Future Jungle Mix), I want to know how to create 3 effects that are happening in the beginning of the song. The main one I want though, is the effect happening at 19seconds. It's hard to explain what it is really. Something being automated or pitch bended down, a sparkly wet sound is the only way to dsescribe it to me, with only a novice production background haha!

this is a pulse width modulated square wave driving the pitch of a saw wave oscillator as the base pitch is bent downwards
The second sound/effect I want to emulate, happens when the song starts off. A wind type noise, a very smooth white noise probably, filtered somehow, eq'd and possibly compressed perhaps? What would make it so smooth?
wind using white noise through a high pass resonant filter as sh has writ; also try pink noise for a different effect
Then the last one I want to achieve, is at just under 3 seconds, as a hi-hat sounds, and a synth chord starts, then a couple of seconds after, cause it is being automated I presume, so takes a couple of seconds to become heard, but there's another choiry/windy sound starts, can anybody explain what that sound is, and how it's achieved? starts to become hearable at 6seconds, then very noticable at 9-10 seconds, but faintly behind the synth chord. Some of these are probably sittin' somewhere in the mix, at the right frequencies, eq'd so that they sit exactly where the producer wants. Anyway, any help here would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

the last is what we might call a breathy pad, triangle wave with noise added multiple filters

I was just shown by a tutor at college, as he used the sparkly sound in a techno track. His way was to use a fast lfo on some white noise, with the resonance up high to give it the high pitched sparkliness. Automated obviously.

I'm glad this wasn't the other dnb tune called sigma (the noisia one), cause the effects in that one are impossible to replicate.
the Noisia guys are known as masters on audio engineering. You know, some tried to replicate their sounds and:

A) They failed miserably;

and/or

B) They became the main artists inside brostep (yes, I'm lookin at you, Skrillex!)

this is a pulse width modulated square wave driving the pitch of a saw wave oscillator as the base pitch is bent downwards

For the first one mate, you are saying:- having a saw wave oscillator affecting a pulse wave, as the pulse width is automated wider? and at the same time pitch bending the bass of the saw wave. How do you drive a saw wave with a pulse wave? not sure I follow that. And pitch bending the bass of a saw wave, what, using a low pass filter?

I am getting close using the Subtractor on Reason. Just not quite got there yet. Using the noise oscillator on there. On filter 1, I have the frequency on LP24, up just over half way (85), and the resonance up full (127), automating the frequency slider down to zero, and also modulating the frequency using LFO 1 on a saw tooth wave (ramp down saw tooth), with the rate and amount on LFO 1 adjusted accordingly. As I say, it's close.

Last edited by a moderator:
other way - saw wave lfo driving pitch of an pwm square wave

give me a bit and I'll do a subtractor screen-shot for you

other way - saw wave lfo driving pitch of an pwm square wave

give me a bit and I'll do a subtractor screen-shot for you

Thanks! think I can do that but would love to see your screenshot mate. Cheers! it was the other bit you said, or did I misinterpret that?

Back