How Do I Change Synth Timbre to Sound Like This? & Your ways of Changing Synth Timbre

Dafwill

How Do I Change Synth Timbre to Sound Like This? & Your ways of Changing Synth Timbre

I've Been trying to change my synths timbre to keep the melody interesting and i really like how curbi does it in this song at 3:35.It's like it goes higher in pitch but theres more to it. I'm almost sure its a small tweak to the timbre of a sound but i can be wrong. How do you guys think he did it and how can i achieve this specifically in Massive but also just in general. But i mainly wanna start this post to ask what are your guys ways to change the sound of the melody throughout the song to keep in interesting. Appreciate all the replies and Help. Cheers!!

at 3:35 i hear the main lead part actually go lower in pitch? it sounds like its dropped by semitone unit, not a whole octave. I'm also not entirely clear as to whether you are talking about the lead, that high pitch sound in the background, or what. That high pitch "rise" sound is pretty consistent so I guess you are not talking about that.

The main lead def gets lower in pitch though. I dunno if that different timbre you are talking about is simply a result of it being played on lower frequencies or what because it already sounds like they have a fast LFO modulating the pitch of that sound throughout the track. Sometimes when a sound is played throughout the keys on a synth, it can sound completely different in timbre.

My first thought is he may have used some form of key tracking that automates a specific parameter.. with massive that's really hard to pinpoint. It could be a filter, changing wavetable position, there's a lot of possibilities.

I suck at dissecting sound design, I think it's an extremely complicated thing to do, especially when wavetable and FM synths are a thing. But tying to your comment about getting a unique timbre, I think wavetable synthesis is really bass-oriented, and in a lot of cases it takes an additive synth to get a unique timbre.

FL has harmor, which I view as a very in-depth synth that definitely isn't for everyone, but a good hybrid between additive and wavetable synths is serum. Yes, serum does have wavetables that make it easy to start designing growls right off the bat, but under the hood it doubles as an additive engine. There's a lot of shit you can do with this. Plus with serum, you have all the modulation and post effects of a wavetable synth.

at 3:35 i hear the main lead part actually go lower in pitch? it sounds like its dropped by semitone unit, not a whole octave. I'm also not entirely clear as to whether you are talking about the lead, that high pitch sound in the background, or what. That high pitch "rise" sound is pretty consistent so I guess you are not talking about that.

The main lead def gets lower in pitch though. I dunno if that different timbre you are talking about is simply a result of it being played on lower frequencies or what because it already sounds like they have a fast LFO modulating the pitch of that sound throughout the track. Sometimes when a sound is played throughout the keys on a synth, it can sound completely different in timbre.
Yes, Im talking about the Main Lead. I've been messing with the pitch, massive filters etc. on my own Lead sound to try and get the same effect with no success.

Yes, Im talking about the Main Lead. I've been messing with the pitch, massive filters etc. on my own Lead sound to try and get the same effect with no success.

I literally just think he only copied the midi pattern of the synth and dropped it one or two notes down for a couple bars. I do not think it has anything to do with the way the patch is programmed.

Also, the synth sound could be resampled, allowing different timbres to take place as the pitch changes when being played across the keyboard.

Last edited:
Love this song! Been blasting my speakers with it for some time now.

Anyway, Massive have a bunch of instances where you can change the timbre of a sound, especially with Future House basses. You can adjust wavetable position, add different warping modes such as Bend +/- or Formant (= Sync mod), and then you have the FM and RM with all the different octave combinations to it.

But then you have the Comb filter among the various filters, as well as the Sine Shaper and the Frequency Shifter among the insert effects.
And the Comb filer and the Frequency Shifter are really good to add a specific texture in the highend, while the Sine Shaper can change the overall impression a little more. Just blend these in (Comb and FS) slightly, and set their frequency fairly high, then maybe add some distortion to give it more bite and you can create some very interesting timbres.

You can even use different regular filters combined with distortion to create interesting timbres, as distortion respond differently depending on how you've treated the different frequencies - you can for instance use an Allpass filter with a peaking reasonance, or blend in some Bandcut filter with distortion added.
I've even used Sample & Hold to shape the main timbre going into the filters,, like using it on just aregular sinewave... it made a sweet bellish sound.

There are a lot of things you can do :)

Not sure how to recreate this bass sound though, and I see no point in doing it either as Future House basses are so complex (been making a lot of them lately for products).

Back