How do I avoid the distorted drum sound?

*Crucial*

To get my kick banging I use a few layers, but sometimes when I reach the chorus and add more elements the kick creates a distorted sound, is there a trick to avoid this?

Hard to say what's going on just from that description but it could be that it's clipping for 1. Might also be too much low end in your kicks, try HP filtering everything but the kick which is providing the low end. Maybe even HP the sub group at a cut off point where you feel the right amount of low end is present.

Don't know why it would suddenly sound distorted at the chorus part of your track, to me that would suggest that maybe you are adding an instrument at that stage which is causing the low end to become muddled.

If it only happends in the chorus most likely is that you are adding another percussion or instrument that gives the extra low end, like when you make the Kick go with the bassline that gives it that extra power making it sound distorded, sometimes when i add congas or timbales i get stuff like that just level the volumes on the hook so they can blend better and dont make it sound like its gonna crack.

Aside from the drums, you should pan some of the other elements that you bring in during the hook, then make sure that the instruments are leveled, and not too dry sounding.

Last edited:
Compression is, by definition, distortion. Threshold too low?

lower all faders.

set the kick and snare so they are the only thing in the beat
and are balanced.

and mix in the elements so they do NOT pass the kick.

if it's too quiet, find that knob called the volume nob and use it.

I mixed for some folk today and all the faders (for the beat) were like 6+ dbs over the bridge...

lol was fun though.

Back