How do i add complicity to my tracks? Help

Mauri358

How do i add complexity to my tracks? Help

It's been almost 6 months i have started producing music. I realise how much i've progressed, but when a hear a track from a pro artist, mine feels like shit. I believe it's because i need to add more complexity to my tracks, but how do i do that? I do use samples, i do automate. Something is missing, and i hope you can give me some ideas. what should i do?
I've never finished a track ever, i think it's because i don't feel my songs are good enough,i feel like my sounds need to improve first.
Any advice?

Last edited:
That's a music theory/ sound design question alright.
The answer is music theory and sound design man lol.

It's too broad and too long to go into the details because that would fill up a 24 inch pc monitor at the current font level.

Synthesis, sampling, arranging, chord formulas, automation,modulation, etc scales sooooo many things. Soooooooooo many things man.
Wikipedia and stuff. and practice.

I always make sure my foundation is laid first: beat, bass, melody. maybe try adding some atmosphere to your music, some pads that fit the emotion, add transitions (not talkin skrillex drops just make sure you can tell the difference between the hook, verse, bridge, etc.) then again sometimes less is more. really without hearing what you got it's hard to say what you need. those are just some general things I follow when I make the soundtrack to my lyrics.

I always make sure my foundation is laid first: beat, bass, melody. maybe try adding some atmosphere to your music, some pads that fit the emotion, add transitions (not talkin skrillex drops just make sure you can tell the difference between the hook, verse, bridge, etc.) then again sometimes less is more. really without hearing what you got it's hard to say what you need. those are just some general things I follow when I make the soundtrack to my lyrics.
You are right. Here is my sample i finished not too long ago!

yea you definitely need to improve your sound. invest in good vst's or whatever your daw uses. you need more elements added, you end it when the main melody should start, the drums could be a lot bigger and you probably could've introduced a bass line already.. you got a ways to go but don't get discouraged.. you got the pieces for a good intro put together already

I'm not sure if you're still watching this thread, but I'll try and share some information that I've found useful. I'm primarily a bass music producer so the point I started working from was sound design. I spent a lot of time watching the "How to Bass" series Seamless does on youtube (I would highly suggest checking him out if you're just getting started by the way) and I learned various bass design techniques, and it's really a learning process.

It took me about a year and a half (in my spare time) to find my way to design basses with texture, compose punchy beats, and do a decent mixdown to make the pieces of my tracks sound good together. Everyone is a little different, and you'll always be learning new tips and tricks to fix problems and improve your sound. A great place to find tricks is joining active producer groups. Like I'm part of a production skype group, but forums and subreddits are also great places full of helpful people too.

Hope this helped man!

That's totally true, i will join some active producer groups in the near future. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate

This is basically asking 'how do I make my tracks good'
Answer: practice for lots of hours and watch lots of youtube tutorials on things you don't understand.

Back