How do i achieve this sort of drum roll??

I would attempt it by having 3 or 4 separate channels of the same sample, maybe have the original snare sound on the first channel and then copy it to the other channels and down tune the pitch of them, if it's easier you can convert them to MIDI tracks and play them in live. cut off the high end via filtering.

If that doesn't work for you then replace the downtuned snare samples with toms or kick samples, creating a kick roll, but utilising the lower frequencies more.

Failing all that, I'd ask one of my drummer buddies to record it live, or ask them for advice.

That's what I would try anyway. Good luck!

The snare is pretty simple, the only real roll is coming from the toms which is a mix between a mid tom and a low tom. Stating the DAW you are using might help someone assist you more

so we have a bunch of off-beat 16th note accents on the snare followed by a 13 stroke roll around the toms

Beat→
Instrument↓
1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u1
Hi Tomxxxx
Mid tomxxxx
Lo tomxxxx
Snarexxxxxxx

note that the toms each have 2 32nd note hits per cell in the above for a total of 12 hits plus the ending snare

In drum rudiment terms this is a 13 stroke roll where each pair of 32nds are played as a double tap finishing on a final snare stroke

R-R-L-L R-R-L-L R-R-L-L R

- it is important that this sticking version (right hand leading) is used if you are a right-handed drummer or are trying to replicate said beast, unless you want to end up tangling your hands - the final snare hit is with the right hand because it is easier to bring it back across to the snare in time as opposed to the left hand

Last edited:
so we have a bunch of off-beat 16th note accents on the snare followed by a 13 stroke roll around the toms

Beat→
Instrument↓
1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u1
Hi Tomxxxx
Mid tomxxxx
Lo tomxxxx
Snarexxxxxxx

note that the toms each have 2 32nd note hits per cell in the above for a total of 12 hits plus the ending snare

In drum rudiment terms this is a 13 stroke roll where each pair of 32nds are played as a double tap finishing on a final snare stroke

R-R-L-L R-R-L-L R-R-L-L R

- it is important that this sticking version (right hand leading) is used if you are a right-handed drummer or are trying to replicate said beast, unless you want to end up tangling your hands - the final snare hit is with the right hand because it is easier to bring it back across to the snare in time as opposed to the left hand

You an alien man! Always replying wiht lovely charts and graphics and sexy knowledge and whatnot! Haha you're crazy.

Back