How dem beats made mon!

J4F

I'm looking to make some reggae based songs. Is there a basic theory on reggae beats. Timing-3/4 or 4/4. I've been messing around with it for a while. It's kinda hard to get that rasta sound. Any info helps thanx.

4/4 is most common is Roots Rock. The key to reggae that I have noticed is that the guitars strums are on the up beat. So if you count 1-2-3-4, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. You strum between the counts, basically where the "and" is. I would suggest for practice taking a few old classic reggae songs and looping them in your sequencer and playing behind them. Drums, guitar, etc.... It helps get the theory down.

Chuckie Busa said:
4/4 is most common is Roots Rock. The key to reggae that I have noticed is that the guitars strums are on the up beat. So if you count 1-2-3-4, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. You strum between the counts, basically where the "and" is. I would suggest for practice taking a few old classic reggae songs and looping them in your sequencer and playing behind them. Drums, guitar, etc.... It helps get the theory down.

Thanks for the input, I'll have to give that a try. Peace!

Are you playing and recording with actual instruments ?? I found it almost impossible to recreate that guitar 'strum' found in a lot of reggae compositions ...

Real insturments is always a must my friend. Someone's gotta keep playing them. As far as rolling rasta. I hear what ya be sayen mon! I'm gonna get it........... Some how.

Actually, there's a lot of completely digital (and very good) dub/reggae/dancehall, but to each his own...

krushing said:
Actually, there's a lot of completely digital (and very good) dub/reggae/dancehall, but to each his own...

Mos Def...This is true. Just takes a little thought process. There is a way to get that live feel, you just have to "think" that way when creating it. Different velocities on drums, creating a guitar strum sound by staggering your notes, delay, reverb, percussions. Sometimes you just have to sit back and study some good reggae for a few hours and absorb the different styles.

Last edited:
Back