How to create robot voices like this one?

aceover9

It plays at 00:35 and repeats periodically.

I use FL Studio. Really needing some sort of robot voicing technique for a few songs. I don't want the generic auto-tune sound but am open to going that route if there are some post production tricks involved to make it different than what you normally hear. My main goal is to just get a good robot effect on voices.

Last edited by a moderator:
For that type of sound you would need a vocoder (a device that lets you combine voice articulation with a keyboard). Other ways to do a similar (but definitely different) sound include using a talkbox (Google this), which you can build, or the auto-tune that you mentioned. Or you could use a synth preset that has some kind of Formant control to get close. But the sound you are listening to is vocoder.

GJ

I was able to get a similar one like tekken 4, guitar amp.
For that one though could just be a distorted vocoder signal or a guitar amp with the wah-wah stuff halfway.
I hear some moderate chorus too I think.

Might even be a doubled vocal sample with different effects on each.

Remember that sometimes you get to have some clarity by mixing the dry signal with the vocoded signal. so it would be best if you double the wav you're using, leaving one unprocessed and mixing the two for best results.

You can also get a nice robotization effect with an FFT based plug-in (that sets the phase of all frequencies to zero). They used this kind of stuff for old sci-fi movies a lot ;) But a vocoder and some cool fx could certainly do the trick too. Good luck!

JD

any fft based plug-in is a vocoder in drag

however, you could achieve this effect the old fashioned way by running the vocal into a flanger with a very metallic setting run in parallel with an unprocessed version - it's what Tim Rice (JC Superstar Lyricist) used for his vocal on "Proles" on Rick Wakeman's 1984 Album

In a vocoder you mainly adjust the frequency content in a track with FFT. In a robotization effect you only adjust the Phase information with FFT (set it all to zero ) and leave the Frequency information alone. But they are quite similar indeed. Good idea with the ringing flanger btw, this might be a better and very light-weight solution :)

Back