How to create clear, heavy hitting bass in NI Massive

Jakern1992

So up until now I've really been avoiding bass in my production because I can't find a tutorial that shows me how to make the type of bass I want in Massive. There are 2 main types of bass I'm interested in. One is that clear, hard bass in schoolboy q's track Studio. The other type of bass I want to create is that gliding bass used in future bass and some neo soul type stuff. If anyone can recommend some tutorial vids or just write some tips in the thread id be very grateful. I was going to post links but since this is my first post it won't let me. Schoolboy q- Studio(Clear hard bass), J Robb- Team Thingy(gliding bass)

I don't think the bass in the first one is especially "hard hitting" by itself - but the fact that it's always on beat with the kick makes the kick serve as the attack for the bass. Thus, "hard hitting". Plus there's a bit of sidechaining compression there which gives even more room for the kick to come through.

The glides on the 2nd one are most likely just using the "portamento" (or, well, "glide") function found on most synths. This does exactly that - it ties consequent notes together and smoothly moves the pitch towards or to the exact pitch of the next note, depending on the settings. Maybe some manual pitch bends there as well, didn't listen so closely.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I've tried compressing and side chaining my kick to make the bass sound heavier, but just can't get the bass to sound as good and clean as it is in schoolboys song. maybe it has to do with the mixing and mastering? as for the glide i guess it was a pretty dumb question, just haven't really messed around with the glide on massive too much. I'll have to try it out.

Try to experiment with your eq/compress/filter and also in wich notes you are putting the bass/kick in. And indeed with the sidechain
you will make a huge different.

Back