How To Create a Certain Smooth Pad ???

amakarise

Hello All,

First let me just say if anyone can help me get even remotely close to achieving this sound, I owe you BIG time! haha

I'm trying to figure out how to create this specific type of pad (or perhaps pad/strings?) sound. I've played around with the oscillators and some other parameters in a few various plugins, but I can't quite seem to get it. It's like very smooth, not too bright, kinda airy-ish....

Below are YouTube links to 3 (of many) different songs so you can hear exactly what I'm talking about. Please feel free to jump ahead to exactly where it begins in case you don't wanna hear the whole thing!
P.S: If you know of any patch within a plugin that sounds very close or is dead on, please mention it as well.

Russ Freeman - East River Drive - YouTube [0:00-0:17]
Thundercat - 3 A.M - YouTube [0:21-end]
Terrace Martin - You're The One - YouTube [3:52-end] *Sorry, try to ignore their poem readings and hang on to the beautiful pad/strings in the back

Thanks in advance!

I think it is a mix of string sample with maybe some low pass sawtooth synth. Not sure but you sure have to search for string kind of synth or sample.

yes, my guess is also low-pass detune saw with reverb, as well as slow attack and release. you also seem to like the thick harmony in chords, which keeps the airiness of the synth from sounding frail. try, for instance, inserting a D note into an A minor triad to add a thicker, dreamy feel.

Back