How to create an 'atmosphere'?

KingCity

Having a bit of problem fleshing out my tracks and creating an atmosphere for them. All my sounds are a little flat, am looking to create ambient soundscapes to match the mood and bring things together and just generally make the track sound more alive.

Examples:

Any decent software/plugins for this?

Last edited:
Ambience-sounds are a very broad thing, any certain type of ambience-sounds you want to make? Or is it more about how to turn a sound into nice ambience in general?

Ambience-sounds are a very broad thing, any certain type of ambience-sounds you want to make? Or is it more about how to turn a sound into nice ambience in general?

More about how to turn a sound into a nice ambience in general.
A way to help different elements of the track sit together more cohesively under an ambience

This may help, but I always have a return track with reverb in it (ableton) or a auxiliary output go to a reverb that other tracks can send their audio to. It gives the same reverb, and same "room", to all the tracks.

This may help, but I always have a return track with reverb in it (ableton) or a auxiliary output go to a reverb that other tracks can send their audio to. It gives the same reverb, and same "room", to all the tracks.
Do you mean putting a reverb on the master track, so that all tracks have the same reverb setting (on top of any others they might have)?

Ambient is a very broad term. I wouldn't apply heavy reverb on the master channel, as it would influence ALL sounds, including drums, bass, etc. This could cause more muddiness than anything else.

Do you mean putting a reverb on the master track, so that all tracks have the same reverb setting (on top of any others they might have)?

No. A "return track" (or something like that) is used to send a degree of the audio to a separate channel for processing in some way while maintaining the original audio of the track itself. For example, in Maschine, the audio of my drums will go to the master channel, but there are "auxiliary" outputs which will also send audio from that track to an effect before going into the master channel. So if I have a return track with reverb, I can send my synths and guitar etc. to it so that they all have the same reverb as each other (Because they are all going into the return track), but the return track and original track will also still send audio to the master channel as well.

Here is a video that might help explain what Im trying to get at. You'll see that the audio of his original is maintained while the return is used as a subtly.

Don't put a reverb on the master channel. It will make the mix muddier then a rednecks truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cosine the idea of using a send from every channel to a "master" reverb that comes back on it's own "return" channel

you send as much as you need from each channel,

use a wet only setting for the output of the reverb itself and

control how much of this "master" reverb is added back to the mix by using the channel volume slider

Back