How to create ambient Guitar swells/sounds through VST

So what are you doing now? Because be it physical guitar pedals or not, that guy in the video explains pretty well what he's doing. A great sounding reverb is of course the key here. Look into the ValhallaDSP series or Eventide's Space, for example.

And while guitarists "may want to do tricks", it's still a guitar, not a synth. It's not like guitarists can't play synths if they want synth pads. Guitar pads are going to be texturally different.

Sorry I will be more specific because i didn't mention anything about a pad or a synth. I want to achieve a "shimmer" reverb effect with my virtual guitar VST called DSK Electrik guitar. I recently found out the effect i want to make is called shimmer and someone from another thread mentioned the vst ValhallaDSP so I will look into getting that eventually. Thank you for the help.

So what are you doing now? Because be it physical guitar pedals or not, that guy in the video explains pretty well what he's doing. A great sounding reverb is of course the key here. Look into the ValhallaDSP series or Eventide's Space, for example.

And while guitarists "may want to do tricks", it's still a guitar, not a synth. It's not like guitarists can't play synths if they want synth pads. Guitar pads are going to be texturally different.

texture

i was looking to buy an electric trumpet and the reason about that is to allow me to play different sounds like a trumpet which would be interesting approach but i would not buy trumpet to try play it like a guitar and i would not buy a guitar to try play it like a trumpet

for a pad you have synth with much better control
if i was a guitarist sure i would consider all my options and do my best with guitars like these guys, but its nonsense if you try so hard with the synth to act like these guys when you can simply call one of them if that kind of approach really matters and lots of these guys would do things for free just because they love to play

but the effects are cool as you said you can copy those delays, reverbs and add that to a synth pad and you are cool

texture

i was looking to buy an electric trumpet and the reason about that is to allow me to play different sounds like a trumpet which would be interesting approach but i would not buy trumpet to try play it like a guitar and i would not buy a guitar to try play it like a trumpet

if i was a guitarist sure i would consider all my options and do my best with guitars like these guys, but its nonsense if you try so hard with the synth to act like these guys when you can simply call one of them if that kind of approach really matters and lots of these guys would do things for free just because they love to play

but the effects are cool as you said you can copy those delays, reverbs and add that to a synth pad and you are cool

The problem with this kind of thinking is that you're sort of assuming that pads should come from a synthesizer and that guitarist going for pad-like sounds are only trying to emulate synths. The term "pad" simply means "padding" - that is, filling out the empty space, usually by long sustained sounds, or whatever the track needs. But it certainly doesn't need to be a sound created by a certain instrument, nor do instruments need to stick within their comfortable ranges or timbres anyway. Synthesizers started out as a means of trying to electronically replicate acoustic instruments - would've it been any fun if people had just stuck to that paradigm? Explore. Find new sounds.

there is no problem with my kind of thinking I never said that pads should only come from synth what I said was

those who play guitars may want to make it sound like a pad but if you use synth you make pads directly you don't need to make it a guitar first than all the processing to make it sound like a pad second

I never said that pads should come only from synth what I said was

if i was a guitarist sure i would consider all my options and do my best with guitars like these guys

dude I am not stopping you from being creative, you can do whatsoever you like, you can play your guitar with a bow if you want I have no problem with that, I have no problem if you tune kicks and try to make melodies with kick drums I am cool with that

but the question here, its not about real guitars it is about making pads and what I said was you can make a pad directly with the synth you don't need to sound design a guitar first and try to make it sound like a pad second, just ignore the guitar part and problem solved create a pad directly

Yeah, I thought you were talking about skipping using guitars in the first place, but you were talking about synthesizing guitars. But the OP didn't make it very clear whether or not he/she is talking about using VST effects on real guitars/samples of real guitars or trying to create guitar sounds from scratch. Still, the sounds in those videos still are more or less distinctly guitars instesad of generic pads, even if there are parts where the fx take over and it's just a nondescript reverb wash.

Back