how to count bars and beats

you count by the drums usually. It depends what genre of music. But usually the first kick is 1 and the snare is 2, etc.

Its natural fam every time ur head goes down thats 1 beat....

hell its the easiest way get to move to ur ish while u count... hell i'm doing it right now while typing this....

well i have used a tap tempo feature on my keyboard while im listening to the sample, it will usually give me the correct readout ,or at least closer to the actual bpm then some of the auto-read bpm features on softwares that i have worked with

It depends but to make it easy on you....

In regular 4/4 time, you have 4 beats to a Bar and 4 Bars to a line. This means 4 quarter notes per Bar

:hello: Hey everyone, I am new to this site , I am trying to get iformation on how to count bars, I am an inspiring rapper.

I feel like I have the talent and the creative sense but i dont have a clue about counting bars

Hello is there any one out there​

Last edited by a moderator:
babyrush said:
:hello: Hey everyone, I am new to this site , I am trying to get iformation on how to count bars, I am an inspiring rapper.

I feel like I have the talent and the creative sense but i dont have a clue about counting bars

Hello is there any one out there​

you aint hungry enough

So, you are an aspiring rapper and are trying to learn how to count out beats? Rhythm is an instinct - once you have listened to a bar or two, you should be able to feel the downbeat (which, in hip hop is usually a snare/clap). The downbeat will always be the 2 and the 4.....From there, your sense of rhythm will show you were the 1 and the 3 are.

So, you will get this

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 2 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 3 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 4 & 2 & 3 & 4 & ...

I suggest that you count out the 'and' because most breaks are constructed with at least one kick per bar on the 'and'.....

Here is another tip for you.....Many hip hop producers try to make things easy for emcees/DJs, so they make music according to the rule of 32. This means that every 32 beats (8 bars) something will change.....

Practice this and you should get it pretty quickly - if not, you may have to rethink whether you do, in fact, have a lot of talent =)

What U Mean I Not Hungry Enough!

:victory: I WAS BORN TO MUSIC, I ALWAYS WROTE , DONE BEEN TOLD THAT I ALREADY GOT IT , THE REASON I WANT IT TO KNOW HOW TO WRITE BY BARS IS BECAUSE A LOT OF TIME I RUN WAY OVER SIXTEEN BARS, AND WHEN IT COMES TO DOING THE SONG , I HAVE TO TAKE HOT LYRICS AND PUT TO ANOTHER VERSE OR SONG AND I DIDNT WANT THAT MAYBE TO GO ANYWHERE ELSE. SO IT WAS TO MAKE SURE I KNOW IT CAN FIT IN THE VERSE WITH OUT ME RUNNING OVER OR COMING UP SHORT , SO WHEN I GET IN THE STUDIO EVERYTHING IS RIGHT YOU HEARD.

OH AND BY THE WAY THANK YOU , I M ALWAYS OPEN FOR CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM.
AND PLUS I HAD SOME ONE REVIEW MY SONGS AND THEY SHOWED ME HOW ALREADY. BIT THANKS ANYWAY.

Wow, someone who claims to be a 'writer' with sentence structure and grammar like that? God help our poor defenseless language.....

im extremely new to producin i kno how to count bars in ma lyrics

Counting Bars

In 4/4 (basic time signature)......every two snares is one bar.........

(1)BD (2)SN (3)BD (4)SN (2)BD (2)SN (3)BD (4)SN (3)BD (2)SN (3)BD (4)SN (4)BD (2)SN (3)BD (4)SN

***4 bars***

Prov10 said:
In 4/4 (basic time signature)......every two snares is one bar.........

(1)BD (2)SN (3)BD (4)SN (2)BD (2)SN (3)BD (4)SN (3)BD (2)SN (3)BD (4)SN (4)BD (2)SN (3)BD (4)SN

***4 bars***

hmmmm, that was kind of right

Back