How could I create such an amazing sound?

bousebeats

Hi Forum Members

go to youtube and add /watch?v=fPsOzRSdidw at the end to listen to the song I'm talking about (I can't post links yet)

This song was released 2 days ago and I love the whole thing, but the piano like sound in the beginning, i think thats the sound that gives the whole thing the ambient vibe.. How could I recreate that soundpattern?

It's a german song, so don't get scared :)

Thank you all for your help and interest!

They used a lo-fi effect on the piano that rolled off the lows and added a little saturation. Then they ran it through a distortion plugin to make it nice and crunchy. Not difficult at all.

Try running non-guitars through your guitar processing plugin (Guitar Rig by Native Instruments, GTR by Waves, etc.). There are so many cool sounds out there that haven't been used on things other than guitars.

Bear in mind that a lot of the time the mood comes from the notes played, not what they're played on.

It might be worth looking up the chords and seeing what's going on in terms of roman numeral notation.

The crunchy piano bit is looped for the entire song. It's minor, but there is no chord progression behind it.

The bassline isn't melodic enough to establish a chord progression.

The dark pad, however, plays in chords. I'm having trouble telling for sure since the instrument has very little high frequency content, and the low frequency content on my office speakers sucks. But it sounds like vi - iv - i - ii. All minor keys.

In my opinion, sound design matters far more than melodic content for urban music.

For music closer to pop, I think sound design and melodic content have equal weight. But most of my melodic content is dictated by the sound of the instruments. When I hear a synth patch, it tells me how it wants to be played.

Classic rock, country, folk music, classical, and jazz are significantly more melodic-based than sound design-based, for comparison.

Back