How to choose the right sounds?

L

l3lackjax

Is there any method you use to get sounds that mesh together nicely when selecting samples, instruments, etc? Im trying to make a hot beat right now and it comes down to composition, sound selection and arrangement for the most part imo. But I'm not sure, is there any general rule of thumb?

I'll post a audioclip of what i have(when its done uploading to soundcloud..), maybe you could tell me what instruments would sound good/better/compliment what i have so far?:

https://soundcloud.com/nothinbutdakillz/03-06-2014-project

and also, i know its very rudimentry, i just layed all the material out in song mode quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may encounter all kinds of "tips" and opinions from others about what they think would fit better, but in the end, you have to do you.
Experiment, try all crazy ideas until you get ones that works. In the beginning it may feel like you have no ideas of what to try, but as time passes that process takes less time and you are full of ideas.

One tip I can give that hopefully can improve the workflow of it (if you don't do it already), is instead of adding foundational elements as you make track (for example: "now that I've made this awesome verse, what should the chorus be like?"), start with making loops before creating the actual track.
Create a loop for the verse, the chorus, etc. Work on it for a while so you get your complete basic sound done, then start creating the track.
Then of course you get further ideas as you make the track, but finish the foundational idea.
Also, spend enough time brainstorming and write things down before you start with a new track and risk getting confused.
Also, always take notes of what to do and test for the next session. As you write down more and more ideas, you get further ideas from what you've written down so far.

Then of course, knowing musictheory is essential.

Last edited:
Best way to learn is to study other songs. I've spent hours analyzing and recreating popular songs. Also just experiment. I still don't always know what sound I want to use and will audition a couple dozen of them before I find the one that fits. Lastly, just go with what you hear in your own head. When I'm making a track usually I can hear what I want the finished product to sound like before I even get started so I just add the sounds I'm already hearing.

Last edited:
I've gotta agree on the music theory bit. I'm still learning and it will prolly be years before I have it down perfectly but what I know now helps me loads with getting ideas for my songs. Knowing your DAW and the sounds it has in and out also helps cause you will have an idea of what you could throw into the mix of your joint without aimlessly looking around for something that ain't there though you could find some cool stuff.

Steffeeh prolly gave you the best answer you'll get though, getting the whole layout of your beat in loops will help cause when you play it back to yourself you'll be able to hear the whole thing come together then in your mind you'll be like "oh sh*t, that might work" then you'll know exactly what you want for it and you'll know exactly where to find it with the quickness. Cause end of the day the way that i would go about choosing sounds is different from how you would do it. That's the thing about being a creative person, you learn the rules of your trade just so you can bend and sometimes break them.

You can't go wrong with synth, bass, piano, strings, bells, brass for hip hop. It's about what you hear and where you want to go with the track. Focus your beats and establish a theme, concept or feel early on in your creation process. Then stick to it. I like to try to stay under 3-5 instruments max. Work on getting your point across with less instruments and use the instruments to convey mood. Listen to your favorite songs and pick apart each instrument used then apply. Count how many instruments it took to make that track and ask yourself... Why do I like this?

To me it depends on where the instruments I already have laid down "fit" into an EQ spectrum. Lets say, I have a bass for the lows, and a organ in the highs. I'd look for a sound that had a natural bump in the mids. It could be any instrument really from piano, horns or synths, but when I am creating a new layer, I want something that will support the song but also stand out by itself. This also prevents your layers from mushing together and sounding good, and when it comes to EQing the individual tracks, it makes the different instruments stand by themselves while meshing well together in the mix. I hope this helped!

Back