how can I make pro mixes?

GoKeBe

where can I learn how to make my mix sound pro. I want that bold, in your face sound. I tried experimenting with compression and EQ coz I heard that was how it's done but I can tell I'd be forever experimenting.

It sounds like you haven't developed your ears yet. To speed up the learning process, I highly recommend 2 things:

1) go over to garageband.com and review a bunch of music in your favorite genre.

2) Go to a local mastering house and get a test master of one of your good songs. Bring an album you want it to sound like and tell them that you're still polishing your skills and want to hear what they can do with it.

Step 1 will show you a continuum of songs from sketches up to hollywood production. You can hear how cheap synths, poor micing and bad acoustics play into the overall sound. You can also hear how songwriting, instrumentation and delivery play into the song's appeal. Often songs will be good in one area but poor in others. Very few will be top notch.

Step 2 will show you the best that your song can sound given your current mixing skills. Mastering can fix a great deal of sin if the bones are good, but only to a point. Knowing where that point is can help you during the mixing process.

Between these two steps you will develop the ear that you need to know what to adjust in your recording and mixing environment.

The best advice I have for EQ and compression is that you use EQ to cut the bad out of your recordings and compression to cut the dynamic range of a recording. Try getting a book like the "mixing engineers handbook" or googling the subject and do some research.

Good Luck!

thanks for the reply and i'm sure it'll be helpful when I get there but I should have been clearer, I meant mixing in beat making but nevermind that, I figured it out. It's actually simpler than I thought.

it took me many years to improve my mix
by practising,.....
Maybe you can doit faster if you're talented that way
For me i think i'm more of composer.

i also think im more of a composer... eq-ing just aint my thang...

trezza, got any advice for someone who dont have access or time to go to a mastering house

There are people on this forum who do that kind of work, and I believe theirs and other companies will let you send a sample of your music so they can send you a sample of what their work will sound like.

a good forum site to go to learn about mixing is gearslutz.com
gotta search it and find your answers. There are some heavy hitter engineers that post on those forums.

lmao, I like the name. I'll definately check that out.

@S Dubble - my monitors are good and I mix at 100

Yeah, I was phucking with mixing today and I realized I really hate it. I wish I could just play what's in my head and have it come out perfect.

Learn the a lil about Recording Arts. You can get the fundamentals from a book, but you will become unique with experience. Remember that.

Back