How can I improve at replaying samples I want to use on my keyboard?

I decided I'm going to start replaying my samples instead of using the actual audio from the songs. How can I gain a better ear for what chords to play?

Last edited:
I decided I'm going to start replaying my samples instead of using the actual audio from the songs. How can I gain a better ear for what chords to play?

i think you mean remaking your samples? i feel like your question is a bit unclear but ill give it a shot =P

(replaying your samples just doesn't really make sense to me for some reason, because if you could just play it to begin with why are you sampling?)

anyway, if you are talking synthesis...depending on what daw you are using you will probably need to use an fft spectrum analyzer to at least locate the note and to read the harmonics, so you know what waveform to play. next you would probably need to invest in some time off to study theory and basic chord progression and interval inversions. plus! any time is a great time to start training your ear as that will help you immensely down the road.

if you did mean replaying because the "actual audio from the songs" is just a piano then skip what i said about the waveforms and just learn your chord progressions.

try playing along to the original song using a similar patch and learn each part in stages once you learn each try play it all in one go, knowing what scale it uses will help a lot since you know what notes you should be using instead of pressing and hoping for the best. tbh i know very little about music theory and scales in general but i learned to play by ear and can usually recreate a melody fairly easily. the more you do it the better you will become at finding notes and your timing and speed of playing will also improve.

Back