How Can I Add Leads to Pads That Fit?

Warfare

I can make some nice pads, I just don't know how I'd be able to add leads and other sounds to mix with the pad without making it sound bad.

Is there some sort of theory or principal that artists must follow in order to add different sounds together, or is it all just by ear?

I hate using nexus for leads, mainly because I have the standard trancy leads that don't mix with the dark atmospheres I make.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

Hi there. You should use Compressors and filters to make melodies fit to each others. Effects are usefull to. I for example group two mellodies in one and add a comp. filters, or modulate it at the instrument. Filters and Compressors work fine because frequencies don mix and resonate.

beat generals is right - create your music with generic sounds to begin with then find the right sounds for each element

I use a few stock vsts for prototyping or sketching a piece out and then I go back and audition sounds until I find the sound that is right for the current piece.

if I'm working in reason, I use the id8 module to add generic sounds for each element and then revisit everything using the malstrom, subtractor, thor and redrum/kong combinations and maybe the nn-xt as appropriate to each element...

compression, fx and eq come after these decisions have been made, if at all

Back