House/Trance/DnB

nblazer201

Hey ive been producing hip hop beats for a while now but i really wanna get into house/trance/Drums and bass
I have an MPC 2500, Fantom X7, Reason 3.0, and my personal fave, ableton live 5
I dont get it, how am i suppose to make electronic bassed music,
wut are the basic drum patterns like
(For example, on hip hop theirs at least a kick on 1 and snares on 2 and 4)
Do i sample?
How do i use these "processed breaks" that i keep on hearing about?
Any help would make u a saint in my eyes
Thnx champs

Well, the music genres you listed are very much different from one another thus understanding their sound and nature will be very much different.

DnB will be the closest to hiphop to start of with since it uses many 'old school' breaks (you know, with the snare going here, there and everywhere for swing), just speed up around double its hiphop form.

For something like trance try not starting off thinking so much on beats (four-on-the-floor will do just fine) and concentrate more on synth sounds, effects and EQing.

House: syncopated HH and what not, around 120-140 BPM. House varies in style. If you wanna start off on traditional house try listening to a lot of gospel.

so wut about stuff like paul van dike, or benny bennasi, is that house or trance??? and is it sampling or synth......... im so confused, o and some tips on wut gear would be boss would help alot,
thnx champs

You mean Paul Van Dyk. :)
It is mainly synthesizer, but sometimes he uses samplers too.
Synths like the Access Virus and Roland JP-8000 series are very popular with trance producers, and for basses sometimes they use old ("vintage") synthesizers like the Roland Juno-60 or Jupiter-8, as well as the good ol' TB-303 with its characteristic sound.

Benny Benassi is rather hardstyle - not the usual trance - and his stuff can be made by almost any analog or virtual analog synth, with a slight distortion fx and massive mastering fx (compression !!) added.

hi wrong wrong wrong!!!
benassy use his SCCOMPRESION with sfp card SCOPE 4 actualy:D to add that punpin efect .i cnow every think about house just if you are still here ask me.actualy i am deep house produser.**** im hot!!

ryralio said:
i cnow every think about house just if you are still here ask me.actualy i am deep house produser.**** im hot!!
Well hello Mr. Steedie the IInd !!! :bat:

he was on about the sound not the pumping effect. The pumping effect is just sidechained compression used on the kick against the lead synth sound.
You can use other synths to create similar sounds.

nblazer201 said:
so is benny bennasi, paul van dyke, dj teisto i dont get it are they house or trance??????

they are definitley not house. house is generally much more laid back than trance or progressive. its still up beat, high energy music, but not at the frantic, sweaty, drug fueld pace of trance... haha...

and... THM is *rarely* wrong... and he certainly isnt in this case. all that prog music is mashed to crap with compression... lots of all types, too.

peace.

Back