Hiphop / rap chord progressions

I know nothing about chords, or the staff of music, g clef and y clef or f clef whatever. so i gotta learn all this ****. i mean i just followed the links and made some beats based on seeing those notes visually but i have no idea about these 6ths 7ths and ****

youre btter off to practice chords... i just listened to chronic 2001 and theyre almost all I-IV progressions, simple. i use a guitar and piano i think you gotta be playin cause then when u HEAR what u like. you dirty it up and make a melody, your own ideas will take over. it gets easier and eaiser but u gotta practice

I listened and analyzed hundreds and hundreds of instrumentals (seriously) just to learn what you're seeking to learn now. Honestly, 95% (a lil'exagerated) of Urban music, (Hip Hop, R&B, Dance, Crunk) Stick to a small number of chord progressions. Mind you, there don't need to be 3 keys touched simotaneusly to be a chord. A chord progression only points to what are you based in for that measure.

Yeah by Lil' John or Babyboy (beyonce) by Scott Storch contain no exact "chords" as one might think of them, but there are chord progressions present. Both the same at that. The single most common chord progression is Urban music is 1m - 4m(or 6M). Am to Dm(FM), Eb to Ab (or B). Or the one special occasion of 6 to 1 which was in Dr. Dre's Higher for The Game. For those that want to check my logic, download the instrumental and play along with it. It goes from B to Eb. But without the thirds in the chord. I can name unlimited songs that go from I to IV (or VI) I keep saying or because the 4 chord and the 6 are interchangeable, pending on the bass. This chordprogression alone can lead you to making hip hop and rnb.

There are many more things but I'll leave you with that. But one more thing, for the sound hunters out there, a scale that I've found to be named in music theory, but I've never seen used in any other genre but hip hop is Phrygian. Learn the Phrygian scale and you'll have a trick up your sleeve.

yeah i agree. Fat Joe's Lean Back is in the Phrygian mode. thats how u get that sound, use all white keys but remember to focus your melody and basslines around the Em chord rather than C or Am.

I know I'm probably way late on this subject but... To reiterate, Bezo gave plenty of examples in C Minor which is what InnocentM was asking for..

And for someone like me who know plays by ear (with theory knowledgd) I understand exactly what he listed and what to play, that's like gold. I don't read sheet music but I certainly know what's going on at about an 'intermediate' level when it comes to theory.

People say there aren't any hip hop chords are completely wrong. All those chops you hear someone sampling? What do you think most of them are? Chords. It's just a matter of hearing them because they are all chopped up.

Thanks Bezo I just added all of these to my arsenal. Bout to go look for some more examples!

besides... for a producer... the distance u go has alot to do with the artists u work with.... artists gets beats thrown at them all the time.... producers dont have that luxury of having artist thrown at them in their early stages... u gota go find sumone who will work with u and try and make a name for urself of that... the industry sound changes annually... its all about staying in tune with the changes and making solid music

Back