Hip Hop In Session Chord Progressions?

GoKeBe

Anybody got that chord progression course from todaysbeats.net (Hip Hop In Session)? I don't need anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't do in my music life I just want to know if anyone has it, I want to know the contents of it so I can decide for myself.

A friend of mine has purchased it. I've watched the tutorials. But be honest with you it is a bit of a scam. Terence who ''teaches'' these tutorials barely scratches the surface on the theory ofchord progressions. He does not really offer much practical advice on how to go about creating different progressions. If you want to learn about chord progressions I would honestly advise you to spend your cash on buying a book on the circle of fifths or the chord wheel book which will cost a fraction of the price of the tutorial. I purchased one three months ago and have not looked back since. Does take a minute to get use to but is well worth it though. Hope this helps. Peace.

Thanks ...(I'm using up space because thanks alone was not enough for the thing to allow me to post)

A quick lesson in chord progressions.
There are 7 notes in a major or minor scale that repeat forever. Let's focus on the key of C for now because it is made up entirely of white keys.
1 C maj
2 D min
3 E min
4 F maj
5 G maj
6 A min
7 B diminished -which you can ignore for now and in my opinion is a mix between 4 F and 5 G

So there are plenty of chord progression you can take from these 6 chords. Here is a small list of common chord proession used in pop music including hiphop

1 6 4 5
- heart and soul, -benny King- "stand by me", -Ritiouse brothers- "unchained melody", "fall for you(chorus)"duke of earl, -John melon camp- "aint even done with the night(chorus)".

1 5 6 4 - This may be THE MOST popular progression.
-Paul mcartney- "let it be" -Jason mraz- "I'm yours" -Train- "Hey Soul Sister" -BUSH-"glisorine"and a BAZILLION more

1 4 5 4 - very common happy sounding progression
-Shaggy- "angel" "Hang on sloopy" -Grease- "summer lovin"
-richy Vallens-"labamba"

1 3 4 5 - found in a lot of inspirational songs with a lot of feeling.

6 4 5 4 - popular for hip hop nelly used this in "ride with me"

6 4 1 5 - My favorite
-Off Spring- uses this one like every other song.

6 5 4 3 -
-Ray charles- "hit the road jack" -Grenday-"BrainStew" and many many more.

There are plenty more but this is a good start.

Last edited:
can u write some more
Heck yeah. I'll try to rewrite so it is neater and add more on its own topic.

I found a mystake in my above post for the -nelly- "ride with me" and I can't figure out how to edit it, So here is the correction.

6 4 5 4 - popular for hip hop nelly used this in "ride with me"

Although that progression would probly sound cool, the actual Nelly progression I was talking about SHOULD BE

6 5 4 5

Sorry bout late reply. better late than never though rite? Its called ''The Chord Wheel Book'' by Jim Fleser. Its bassicaly a large circle shaped diagram which depicts all the chords in different keys which go together. Only takes a couple of reads to get the jist of it but well worth it. hope this helps. CHEERS.

Yeah thats a killer book. always gets the creativity fired up when u have one of those non productive days. Easily explains how progressions work and how to create your own and how to pick them up from other songs.

Sorry bout late reply. better late than never though rite? Its called ''The Chord Wheel Book'' by Jim Fleser. Its bassicaly a large circle shaped diagram which depicts all the chords in different keys which go together. Only takes a couple of reads to get the jist of it but well worth it. hope this helps. CHEERS.

thanks for the advice

Anybody got that chord progression course from todaysbeats.net (Hip Hop In Session)? I don't need anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't do in my music life I just want to know if anyone has it, I want to know the contents of it so I can decide for myself.

I would recommend the Pop Piano Book.

It is recommended that you know how to read sheet music for that book, as well as being able to play somewhat decently (most of the examples are in sheet music), but they also have CDs and midi files available. But nontheless this book is not suited for beginners (although most of the technique is just somewhat simple basic two handed playing). I would recommend about one year of piano training before delving in though.

I would recommend learning to read music just to read that book.

It doesn't go into many chord progressions per'se but it does an excellent job on scales (the foundation of most chord changes anyway), music theory in general, and explanations of what type of chords and patterns are used in different styles of music. Half of the book is music theory while the other half of the book focus on specific styles. The styles are (Slow Rock, New Age, Fast Rock, Slow R&B, Fast R&B, Country, Slow Gospel, and Fast Gospel).

The book's approach though is to not really cover chord progressions but kind of show you how you can come up with stuff on your own.

The book is a bit dated though (most of the R&B examples will put you in the mood of either Jodeci, Brian McKnight, or Babyface type R&B but this is a good thing, the older style 90's R&B was typically more harmonically complex than todays stuff which is more Pop based).

The Jazz Piano Book is another recommendation, but I think the Pop Piano book is more valuable starting off, but if you can finish all the Pop Piano Book examples (good luck) and is thirsty for more knowledge, the Jazz Piano Book would be another step up. The Jazz Book has less emphasis on technique and more emphasis on harmony, scales, and does go over specific chord progressions (but most of them are jazz based which might not go well for a Pop song).

But being good at chord progressions requires a good combination of skills,

Solid foundation in Theory (alot of people with no training have an understanding of theory but usually just don't realize it)
Good Voiceleading technique
An understanding of various styles of music
Certain degree of Ear Training (being able to "hear" or predict where a song should naturally go).
an experimental mind and a taste of just knowing what works.

Back