hip hop production

EBE725

I'm learning how to produce music, specifically hip hop, right now I'm using logic. I was wondering is there a basic format to a hip hop track? Like would you start with a drum pattern then add a baseline, etc. Also, I how would you incorprate strings or horns into a beat? My final question is how do you sample vocals from a song? I heard that you have to change songs from mpg format to .wav, how would you do that?

I usually do first a basic drum pattern, like a metronome, just to have the tempo, after this i put down the melody, next step is re arrange the drums to fit with the mood of the melody, after I put down the bassline, and at the end add some effects, or hits or stabs like a final touch.
I hope this helps

Johnni about sums it up. Everyone has different approaches. Mess around with the order you do the parts and you'll find what works for you.

EBE725 said:
I'm learning how to produce music, specifically hip hop, right now I'm using logic. I was wondering is there a basic format to a hip hop track? Like would you start with a drum pattern then add a baseline, etc. Also, I how would you incorprate strings or horns into a beat? My final question is how do you sample vocals from a song? I heard that you have to change songs from mpg format to .wav, how would you do that?

No there is no a basic format for hip-hop... it's all about ur imagine. But if u wanna some start point u could listen to other producers, just turn on the radio =)
What about converting to wav... it's easy - u gotta open ur audio file with any sound editing program like Sound Forge or Cool Edit and save it with another properties, wav 24 (or 32 bit if ur soundcard supports that bitrate)...

Back