from HIP HOP to other styles...

G

gskowal

Hey guys I have this problem trying to compose music..I`m curently working on TRIP HOP/POP/SCORE type of sound...I actually started of with producing HIP HOP then went of to TRANCE(had some trouble with SYNTHS main problem lack of money) and now Im trying to learn more about POP/TRIP HOP and SCORES/CLASSICAL music..Problem with moving on from HIP HOP to different styles like POP and CLASSICAL SCORES is that when making HIP HOP beats everything is based on 16/32/64 bar loops and with classical and some pop there is so much more changes... constant changes not only in instruments but chord progressions and stuff like that..Everytime i try to create something longer and evolving SOMEHOW my hip hop past hounts me and i can`t stop looping melodies.... Is there a way for my head to stop looping music?? Guys is there a book or any website or you guys have some tips on HOW TO MAKE A LONGER MELODY THEN a 16/32 bar in lenght?

Best thing to do is to buy some reference CD's. That means grabin some classical and pop CD's. It's also good ear training, so you have an ideal how your works should be mixed down when they ready for mixin,

study some midis of songs you like. and you can see what notes go together. use that knowledge to make your melodies.

Thanks guys I actually thing SeQuencing is my problem...because i end up looping my melodies..I will start playing live.. :o) Thanks A lot... I wonder if that will work...I`m not that good of a piano player...

a sequencer is fine for composing, you just have to develop transitions and build ups.

Pick up a book on music theory. Read it and apply it. Once you know how scales and chords are created and how each on related to the other you will be able to move forward much easier.

ONE80 said:
a sequencer is fine for composing, you just have to develop transitions and build ups.

I think you are correct.

Gskowal, try making a series of 8 or 16 bar sequences. Find what the feeling is from those series of sequences. Then quilt them together and see what you come up with.

Whatever style you move with you hav3e to feel the music. Listen to a different range of records of what genre music you want to listen too. It will just come naturally.

I have the exact opposite problem that you have. I've played the piano for about 10 years now and my beats usually end up too complex. A lot of people say they like my style cuz its like trance and hip-hop together, but my biggest problem is having to go back and break down melodies to make them sound more like hip-hop. Back to your question though, learning to play the piano is the best way to create longer and more innovative melodies.

Back