Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop and Chords

Thanks

Hip Hop and Chords

Sign in to disable this ad
    Is it just me, or do most composed hip hop have no chords? Ive been wonderin how come I dont hear chords and just now I saw a In Da club remake on warbeats and there was no chords. Isnt a composition musically incorrect with out chords and scales?

Thanks
    It could be but most of producer never really went to music school, they can play be ear and heart but they wouldnt be able to write down the music itself.
    Alex Reliic
    Real Legacy Records

[URL="http://www.reallegacyrecords.com"]www.reallegacyrecords.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.myspace.com/Reallegacyrecords"]www.myspace.com/Reallegacyrecords[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.myspace.com/Alexreliic"]www.myspace.com/Alexreliic[/URL]

Thanks
    when youre playing 4 synths in one track, a leading chord can be too powerful of a sound. rap beats now a day are composed of " lil noises n ****" as kweli so eloquently put it

Thanks
    Hip hop and rap beats are by no means traditional musical compositions and and if you asked most producers these days what a blue note is they would tell you it's a jazz record label, so it's a little much to expect an understanding of scales and chord structure.

Thanks
    I figured as much but Dre has a PHD in music theory and is now working with orchestras. Thats more knowledge then most musicians will ever obtain in their entire life. Yet, he didnt use chords on In Da Club.

Thanks
    Not every track needs chords to work. Its all about what sound you want.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bkd3vil
    Is it just me, or do most composed hip hop have no chords? Ive been wonderin how come I dont hear chords and just now I saw a In Da club remake on warbeats and there was no chords. Isnt a composition musically incorrect with out chords and scales?
    chords arent really neccessary, sometimes the melody alone can be fine, the harmony is usually created throught the vocals imo

Thanks
    Dre might have a Phd in music theory, but how many producers have Dre money or Dre time. When he came uo with world class wrecking crew he sampled and I'm sure he didn't know sh!t about chords until later when he could afford to, I mean who the do you know that can afford to hire an orchestra for some beats, Dre is ridiculous. Dilla didn't have a degree in music but he would kill Dre in a beat battle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DisoBAYish
    Dre might have a Phd in music theory, but how many producers have Dre money or Dre time. When he came uo with world class wrecking crew he sampled and I'm sure he didn't know sh!t about chords until later when he could afford to, I mean who the do you know that can afford to hire an orchestra for some beats, Dre is ridiculous. Dilla didn't have a degree in music but he would kill Dre in a beat battle.
    an unmixed raw, strait beat battle sure...

but when it comes to the final product.. nobody mixes better then the Doctor

i mean.. u dont need to LEARN chords.. its one of those trial and error type things.. u play one note.. u look at the notes near it.. nd wateva sounds good they probably memorized it.. now do u need to learn the names, and all that.. sure u can if u'd like.. as people say he's workin wit orchestra now.. dre needs these people more then they need him

so how would it sound if dre walked up to dem and was like "i want u to play somethin thats real dark soundin.."

im sure he learned for personal knowledge, to make his music well rounded and more emotional (dominant chords and things like that) & to not look like a fool in front of others..

codeineandchords.bigcartel.com

Thanks
    Rap Songs out right now with chords in them(don't know if they're samples, but know they have chords)....
    Rich Boy feat. Keri/Polow "My Friend"
    Baby feat. Lil Wayne "Pop Bottles"
    Chamillionaire feat. Slick Rick "Hip Hop Police"
    Mims "Like This"
    Gorilla Zoe "Hood Nikka"
    Yung Berg "Sexy Lady"
    "Crank Dat Soulja Boy"
    50 Cent "To The Bank" & "Rollercoaster" not sure about "Get Money" that could just be a thick synth preset, but for me to replay it, I'd use chords.

I think because they're not used as intricately as in other genres of music, you guys miss them.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 08-22-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Thread Information