Hip-Hop Basslines

B

buddhahood

Ay watsup yall. I've been putting sum **** together and I seem to be aweful at making a bassline for my music. Iz there guidelines to where and when the bass should hit? Is there any tips for basslines at all for me? Much love.

the bass should, at it's simplest, be an extension of the kick. the rhythm of the bass is equally, if not more important than the actual notes being played. especially in hip hop.

well one important question is what type of hiphop are you trying to make? are the basslines supposed to sound like a real bassist? if so, just take X song that has a good bassline and jack or modify it(the notes, not necessarily the audio). if not, find a similar song...and just use the bassline idea. after a while of doing this, you will get your own ideas. after all, where do you think they got their ideas in the first place:bat:

-Lodger

the key ingredient to a bassline is to first incorporate the right sample and to have an ear for what best matches the melody. it helps to have a musical background, otherwise you will have to become a very intuned student to the craft for a few years. if u want your song to encourage fast rapping add more notes to the bassline and spread the notes out if you want a more chilled feel. the actual notes will have to come from your own imagination so keep at it.

low2behold said:
the key ingredient to a bassline is to first incorporate the right sample and to have an ear for what best matches the melody. it helps to have a musical background, otherwise you will have to become a very intuned student to the craft for a few years. if u want your song to encourage fast rapping add more notes to the bassline and spread the notes out if you want a more chilled feel. the actual notes will have to come from your own imagination so keep at it.

to add to that, make sure u can TUNE the sample to the
to the bassline or retune your patch to match the sample
I hear a lot of GOOD sample picks that r just way outta tune!

Back