hihatss

There is nothing much special with these hihat sounds. I do not know what library he has got them from but they sure are straight forward samples.
Remember that the character of the sound comes from using several samples, panning, compression, eq and maybe some reverb and other effects.
What exactly are you trying to achieve with hihats? This sound?

There is nothing much special with these hihat sounds. I do not know what library he has got them from but they sure are straight forward samples.
Remember that the character of the sound comes from using several samples, panning, compression, eq and maybe some reverb and other effects.
What exactly are you trying to achieve with hihats? This sound?

im trying to figure what sound it is? Would it be a bell of some sort or is that actual a hihat? cause it sounds like theres more than just a tick sound.

^^^It's an open hihat(sometimes labeled "ride") with the polyphony set to 1 so it doesn't clash. Variating velocity from note to note will help it sound more realistic as well. Any library with "real drum" sounds should have a good one. Even FL Studio stock. Pretty sure that's from the MPC 2000XL library(there's one in there that's identical), but sounds are so often duplicated you can find that in anything.

^^^It's an open hihat(sometimes labeled "ride") with the polyphony set to 1 so it doesn't clash. Variating velocity from note to note will help it sound more realistic as well. Any library with "real drum" sounds should have a good one. Even FL Studio stock. Pretty sure that's from the MPC 2000XL library(there's one in there that's identical), but sounds are so often duplicated you can find that in anything.

o i see but what does polyphony mean?

Actually, they are part of the sample.

But "polyphony" is basically the amount of notes that can be played without cutting off notes when overused. Set it to 1(mono)and you won't get the tails of the hats bleeding into each other. Being that the hihats in that sample were live, they'd cut off naturally as they should. In a sampler, sometimes they do not.

Last edited:
polyphony: break it down: poly- = many, -phony = sounds; so many sounds at the same time.

If you restrict polyphony to 1 you can only have sound/note playing at a time.

what d'reanged is telling you is more akin to the the use of exclusive samples - two note positions are tied to the same playback channel and either one being triggered shuts the other one off

I don't know that I would agree with a ride cymbal being the same as an open hi-hat, mostly because an open hi-hat has two cymbals in it: the upper and lower hats; whereas a ride cymbal can have the sound of a single cymbal being played at the rim, bell or somewhere in between

And thanks bandcoach, I suck at explaining music, lol. :cheers:

While my ears tell me a ride and open hat are not the same, sometimes they're labeled as such in sample libraries. I didn't know a definitive difference, but I've found some samples labeled "ride" that work as an open hat should and vice versa. Once again, I do not know the terms, just how things are supposed to sound, lol.

Last edited:
it's - being a drummer amongst other things, I know the names and the sounds and just can't help myself explaining it (teacher in me as those who have known me more than a minute understand)

Back